Yeast stuck to fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druss716

Reaction score
I've got an Irish Stout fermenting in my primary for just about a week now. The first day or two, the airlock was bubbling like crazy. (I realize thats not a good measure of fermentation, but was worth noting)
I took a look in the bucket today and noticed the underside of the lid is covered in the yeast mixture as well as the sides of the bucket above the liquid. Nothing is floating on top of the liquid. Basically, the mixture is no where near the liquid.
Is this normal?
Do I just let this ride or do I need to scrape it all back to the liquid?
This is only the 2nd batch I've made, and my only comparison is the Hefe I made prior that did not have this issue.
I'm just being a panicky Pete aren't I?

That is normal. It is the leftover krausen. You still have plenty of yeast in the beer. Nothing to worry about and no need to scrape anything. Just leave it for another week or two then take gravity readings to determine that you have final gravity. Then you can bottle it.

Back