Rhizome From a Rooted Cutting??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazedandconfused

Reaction score
Does anybody here know how long it takes for hops started from cuttings (or seeds) to develop a strong enough root structure that it will return the next year? I'm trying to figure out if I should plant my cuttings in the ground (and risk total plant death from frost) or if I should put them in pots and bring them into the garage in the winter to build up roots/rhizome for next season.

I just buried some of the lower side arms that were touching the ground already. That was a week ago, I uncovered them to already find lots of roots sprouting. I think if left until the end of the season they should definetly survive the winter.

Does anybody here know how long it takes for hops started from cuttings (or seeds) to develop a strong enough root structure that it will return the next year? I'm trying to figure out if I should plant my cuttings in the ground (and risk total plant death from frost) or if I should put them in pots and bring them into the garage in the winter to build up roots/rhizome for next season.

I'd put them in pots & give 'em a shot of indole-3, it's great stuff! Stimulates root growth, safe for use on plants for human consumption, safe for the environment, helps to prevent transplant shock, it's win/win/win. Here's some info on it:
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopesticides/ingredients/factsheets/factsheet_046701.htm
It's often sold as "root stimulator" or "vitamin B1 for plants." You have to check the ingredients though, as some of the "vitamin B1" stuff doesn't actually contain indole-3. Regards, GF.

Plant 'em dude! You'll gain a whole season of estabilshing roots. If your worried about freeze out, mulch em with some leaves this fall. I've planted cuttings in late september with no problems (Michigan) Check out my gallery pics.

Plant 'em dude! You'll gain a whole season of estabilshing roots. If your worried about freeze out, mulch em with some leaves this fall. I've planted cuttings in late september with no problems (Michigan) Check out my gallery pics.

Jagdad, I don't see any pics in your gallery.

OOPS! Please try again- it took me a while to figure this out - I posted under my profile first and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't show up.

Back