Batch sparging with a single mashout run?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerseyBrian

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to all grain and I was hoping somebody could help me figure something out.

I've brewed all grain twice so far using this batch sparge method:

- mashed with a 1.25 quart per pound ratio for 60 minutes
- added enough sparge water to get to 168, waited 10 minutes
- vourlauf/drained the mash tun
- the sparged another 8 quarts or so, waited 10 minutes.
- vourlauf/drained
- yield 7ish gallons preboil volume of wort.

the problem is that my Keggle is also my HLT so i have been draining the first runnings into a bucket. Is it possible to just add more cooler water to bring my mash temp to 168 and runoff my complete 7 gallon preboil volume in 1 run?
Any idea of what kind of efficency i can expect with that method?

I never properly tested my efficiency, but i know im getting better than 75% because 75% is what i calculate for and my beer comes out stornger than expected.

Oh and im mashing in a 52 quart coleman extreme and wishing i had bought the 70 quart instead.

What your looking at is referred to as 'No Sparge' mashing. It is done and is very similar to brew in a bag in practice. IIRC, efficiency is around 65% to 70%.

ahh "no sparge mashing"

i knew there had to be an easier way to explain it :)

so if its also the beer in a bag way, i guess its not recommended?

Purists might look down their nose and tisk-tisk you, but there is nothing wrong with the no sparge method if that's what you want to do. It saves a lot of time, you just have to adjust your recipes to use a bit more grain.

I tired the brew in a bag method for a three gallon batch (paint strainer bag sized). I think it is a little better than the no sparge method and I got 76% efficiency. I would definitely do it again.

thanks for your answers guys. Im just going to stick to my single sparge method for now. I was just worried about "hot side airation" because I catch my first runnings in a bucket. Time to look into buying a seperate HLT.

the problem is that my Keggle is also my HLT so i have been draining the first runnings into a bucket. Is it possible to just add more cooler water to bring my mash temp to 168 and runoff my complete 7 gallon preboil volume in 1 run?
Any idea of what kind of efficency i can expect with that method?

I guess I don't understand the problem; is there something wrong with leaving the first runnings in a bucket for ~15-20 minutes?

My issue with no-sparge mashing is that you're typically leaving stuff behind. It's not essential to get everything, but it just seems wasteful to me.

Instead of draining into a bucket, the other alternative is to put your sparge water, once heated, into a cooler to free up your pot. The cost is relatively cheap.

thanks for your answers guys. Im just going to stick to my single sparge method for now. I was just worried about "hot side airation" because I catch my first runnings in a bucket. Time to look into buying a seperate HLT.

Ah, the HSA thing. Most people believe that HSA is a myth.

Personally, I use plastic buckets to catch my first and second runnings. I then pour this into my brew kettle; it prevents me from having to lift a 60+ pounds of pretty warm wort onto the stovetop. I try to keep the splashing to a minimum when I pour from the bucket, but there is some splashing. I don't see (or, better yet, TASTE) any negative effects in my beer.

I don't believe it until I see it. Your taking these runnings and boiling it, which should drive off the oxygen. HSA is only possible if you airate the wort after boiling before cooling. And once again I have not been able to do it with test batchs so it's not on my radar as a major issue.
Relaxing too much and forget to pitch the yeast, that's a problem that's easily fixed. You have to work really hard to mess up a homebrew, really I have tried. :ban:

It's not about dissolved oxygen though, it's a chemical process that creates molecules that do not boil off. At least that's how I understand it. However, it's likely not something we have to worry about.

Why not use the biggest pot in your kitchen for the second batch of sparge water. Your spaghetti pot is sure to have enough volume to hold one batch-sparge worth of water.

Back