Cider > Vinegar ? How

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about people posting that if they use UV Pasteurized cider it will turn to vinegar after 6mos? Does that mean those of us that can ONLY get UV pasteurized cider will not be able to turn it into apple wine?

yes those not using not pasteurized juice won't be able to not turn it into something that isn't vinegar, i think that clears the issue

sorry i'm drunk

if you want vinegar you need
1. ethanol, so you need to ferment the apple juice. acetobacter turn ethanol to acetic acid. if you leave your cider out for a year first yeasts will ferment the sugar to ethanol, then acetobacter get to work.
2. acetobacter, which is in the air, or can be added from another homemade vinegar. but it can find its way in without too much trouble.
3. oxygen, so shake it, pour it, swish it, whisk it. then cover with cloth and leave it for a few months. i think commercial vinegar producers bubble oxygen gas through the cider/wine/whatever.
it doesn't matter if it was pasteurized but additives like sulfites will probably inhibit acetobacter by reacting with free oxygen. i'm not a great chemist. don't know about sorbate. now- get drunk. or in this case, have a tangy salad

Latest posts

Back