What is an all arround favorite style of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordUlrich

Reaction score
My brew club is having a brew competition and i am at a loss as to what to brew for it. The competition is internal only and judged by popular vote of the club members. The challenge for me is we have widely varying palates in the club, and far to many of the members drink BMC water crap! (i know but they are getting better). OR they brew to get as much alcohol as possible although the beers are improving.

Also the winning beer will be brewed at the local brewpub and served until all 10 barrels are gone (2.5 months is how long his most popular beers last) and well it needs to be palatable to the masses (it is South Dakota) and have some shelf stability.

I am limited to 3 entries and have 2 months to get it brewed. So what styles stand the best chance in an all out battle judged by those fairly new to craft beer?

Oh and I refuse to brew something similar to what the pub has already, he needs a bit more variety (ie Blonde, pale ale, stout(real light stout), this red light flavor lager, and a red ale), which rules out my favorite porter.

I was thinking a English mild, or this American hoped mild I have been playing with?, a IIPA?, Ideas? thanks for the help!

Honestly, for a wide range of pallates, something like a hefe would work well. It pains me to say that since I hate wheat beers (although respect the style, they just don't suit my pallet). Also take a look at a belgian blonde, cream ale, or kolsch. The last three are my go to brews for crowd pleasers!

I have to add I do like milds and get good reviews on them so if you have a good recipe then use that one. Nothing like being proud of your own recipe!

An english brown would be good.

IIPA is usually a crowd favorite, if done well (most I judge aren't very good), but maybe not with this crowd?

How about a slightly hoppy blonde ale, like a Pelican Pub Kiwanda Cream Ale sorta thing.

The hopped mild might work well, is this something along the lines of Stone Levitation?

Back