oh dear!! mould.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
Just 5 minutes ago i was fining some beer in preparation for putting into a corny i poured out a generous spoonful of finings and gently mixed them in so as not to aerate. Everything fine so far until i happen to cast a glance into the bottle before i screw the lid back on to the fining bottle. Oh dear theirs a bunch of mould quite happily growing away in there :( (i could see cloudy bits in the finings but at the time thought it was precipitated finings).
Im really annoyed at my stupidity even more so because this is my second all grain batch and my first that was going to be kegged.
What do you reckon have i screwed the batch or what? This brew is a copy of edworts Haus ale (samples tasted great) but i overcompensated on the grain bill for newbie efficency SG 1052 FG 1010 so its about 5.6% do you think this alcohol content will inhibit the mould?
Should i try and keg this, force carbonate and drink it green before the mould gets a chance to render it undrinkable or horror of horrors does it need to go down the drain :( noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo??

ehhh... its certianly not ruined but "mold" does like to grow on anything it comes in contact with. Worst case senario you'll get some floating mold inside the cornie keg. Its still drinkable, even with the mold on there!!! (if you can stand it)

Back