Irish Red Ale Kit - Midwest or Northern?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexavery

Reaction score
I'm thinking about Irish red ale for my next batch. I've read a number of posts on this. Since this will still just be my 3rd batch, I think I will stick with a recipe kit.

I will buy the recipe kit from either Midwest or Northern Brewer.

Anybody have experience with these kits from Midwest or Norther Brewer? How did they turn out?

I noticed Northern's uses Nottingham yeast and Midwest comes with Muntons. Not sure what kind of difference that will make.

thanks!

If you do decide to go with the Midwest kit, choose the option to upgrade the yeast. Munton's ale yeast is crap, IMHO.

I haven't done this particular kit from Midwest, but I have had some tasty brews come from other Midwest kits. I generally use the White Labs liquid yeast option, but if the price is a bit too much, just tack on a dry packet of Nottingham to your order.

Based on the yeast selection, I say go with NB's because Nottingham is a hell of a lot better than Muntons.

True, but with a packet of Notty costing about $1, I don't think it would be any issue to just buy the pack along with the recipe if he decided to go that route.

I'm about to do my very first batch ever this weekend and I'm doing an Irish Red. I studied a lot of the various kits/recipes, and was going to go with the Midwest kit. In the end, with the help of this site, some brewer friends, and BeerSmith, I decided to do my own Irish Red recipe.

If you are not completely sold on any of those kits, there is enough information around to put together a fairly easy Irish Red recipe.

My second batch ever was the Midwest kit with the muttons yeast. I was not impressed with the muttons, but can't completly blame it becasue of another newbie mistake. I thought that it would be good to squeeze the grain bag after steeping the grains. DOH!. I later learned (from here) that I may have caused tannins from the grain to be in my wort. The beer is drinkable and is getting better with age (2 months) in bottle, but it has a aftertaste which is hard for me to describe. In summary I am sure that the kit is fine, but I would upgrade the yeast.

Good Luck,

My first beer ever was the Midwest kit. I have friends say that it was thier favorite batch I've made yet. And I even used the Munton's yeast.

Interesting, if a bit unrelated, side note:

Munton's yeast does make for a tasty Apfelwein. I say buy the Midwest kit (I've yet to make a Midwest kit I didn't enjoy) and a packet of Nottingham. Make the beer with the Notty, and use that Munton's yeast for a 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein. :mug:

I'm about to do my very first batch ever this weekend and I'm doing an Irish Red. I studied a lot of the various kits/recipes, and was going to go with the Midwest kit. In the end, with the help of this site, some brewer friends, and BeerSmith, I decided to do my own Irish Red recipe.

I did the same and I'm cracking open the first bottle tomorrow (2 weeks after bottling). When I tasted before bottling I was actually quite impressed with what I was able to come up with on my own.
I can post my recipe when I get home if you want.

I too just did the Midewest Irish red kit.......although i went with the wyeast. Its in the secondary now. Hit all my numbers with it and it sure does taste like beer. Wont know how good till im done with the bottling. But all went well with it

Benny - I'd love to see your recipe if you don't mind posting. I'm not sure I am brave enough to do a non kit yet, however.

Based on the input, I think i will try the Midwest kit - although I would like to still research the hops from each option to see if I can figure out the difference.

I made the all-grain version of the Northernbrewer kit, it came out quite good but a lot richer and maltier than I expected.

I actually went with US-05, I'm not a huge fan of Nottingham. I know it's supposed to be a very clean yeast, but I don't think it's nearly as clean as US-05.

Benny - I'd love to see your recipe if you don't mind posting. I'm not sure I am brave enough to do a non kit yet, however.

Based on the input, I think i will try the Midwest kit - although I would like to still research the hops from each option to see if I can figure out the difference.

Here's what I used. I was told after I had it all that some of those grains are supposed to be mashed. But they were all mixed when I got them, so I just steeped them anyway for about 40 min if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if that did anything.

4 oz. Special roast
2 oz. Chocolate malt
8 oz. Belgian Pilsen Malt
2 oz. Crystal 40L
6 lbs Amber LME

1oz. Williamete Pellet Hops (60 min)
1oz. Challenger Pellet Hops (1-5min)

Wyeast Irish Ale 1084

Primary for three weeks
Tomorrow I taste my first cold bottle.
I'll post back tomorrow with how it tastes/looks

I said I'd report back for you...here's a pic of it
It's actually really good. It's the best one I've made so far. Even after only two weeks in bottle. It has a surprising amount of carbonation and head size. Still has a lot of sediment in the bottom, but I remarked to my roommate that it's definitely a beer I'd order in a bar. It just tastes totally different than my other brews...I don't know why (other than it being a completely different style ;) )
:mug:

Interesting, if a bit unrelated, side note:

Munton's yeast does make for a tasty Apfelwein. I say buy the Midwest kit (I've yet to make a Midwest kit I didn't enjoy) and a packet of Nottingham. Make the beer with the Notty, and use that Munton's yeast for a 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein. :mug:

Thank you very much sir, I have two packets of Muntons yeast from MW kits and I was wondering what to do with them. I was actually saving them for a stuck fermentation, if I get one. I am a big fan of EW's original recipe but if the Munton's tolerates the high alcohol content, then I'm shopping for Treetop tonight.:rockin:

Back