First Partial Mash Batch this Weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeL

Reaction score
I'm doing my first partial mash batch this weekend and have a question. These are the steps I use for my 2.5 gallon extract batches:

Add 1.5 gallons to the brew pot for my steeping/boiling
Add 1 gallon to the fermentor
Add the wort to the fermentor
Add extra water to get to 2.5 gallons

Can I use the same steps/water amounts for partial mash?

No. Mashing is not the same as steeping. What equipment do you have to be able to do a mash and can you include your recipe? This info is necessary to help you with your question.

No. Mashing is not the same as steeping. What equipment do you have to be able to do a mash and can you include your recipe? This info is necessary to help you with your question.

I know they are different but wanted to know if I could use less than full volume because of my small 12 quart brew pot. I was planning on mashing at 154 for an hour. I'm doing partial mash because I don't have enough DME to reach the OG.

Recipe - http://hopville.com/recipe/1643471

Check out NorthernBrewer.com. You can look at one of the partial mash kits and there is a tab for more information which has the recipe and instructions.

They also have a video on the site.

Their kits are for a partial boil. So you mash with a portion of the water then sparge with some more and lastly top off to 5 gallons.

I think the mash is 1.25 quarts to a pound of grain.

Check out NorthernBrewer.com. You can look at one of the partial mash kits and there is a tab for more information which has the recipe and instructions.

They also have a video on the site.

Their kits are for a partial boil. So you mash with a portion of the water then sparge with some more and lastly top off to 5 gallons.

I think the mash is 1.25 quarts to a pound of grain.

Thanks, I just looked at the instructions and this is what I'm looking for. I'll just cut all the water measurements in half for my 2.5 gallon batch.

Back