Crush too fine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigchristheman

Reaction score
Is there a downside to a crush being too fine besides the change of it getting stuck? I crush my grains at the LHBS and was thinking about running it thought twice for my next batch to see if that helps with efficiency.

I crush my grain myself and my BC is still set at factory setting .39 it seems to give me a fine crush it was a definite jump in efficiency from the crush I got at the LHBS like high 60 to low 70's and now high 70's to mostly low 80's and as long as I start my sparge with the valve cracked open I have no problem with stuck sparges I have a 40 qt cooler with steel braid.

I noticed a big difference too when I got my BC. Depending on how you sparge, you'll probably have to vorlauf more with a really fine crush.

I also had the increase in efficiency after buying a BC. Also, the taste seems to have improved slightly but that isn't anything I can test with a hydrometer. Someone posted recently that it is similar to the difference in taste between fresh ground coffee and pre-ground. Sounded good to me . . .

So running it through the crusher twice would help? I just want to make sure I'm not going to hurt the beer. I've never had a problem with a stuck sparge

Back