Moving wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyvail

Reaction score
Some friends of mine meet every year for NFL Championship weekend. This year we want to brew a beer that will age well for the next years Championships.

Question is this: No body lives near where we meet so the wort will have to be driven 2 hours back to someones house, would you pitch the yeast as soon as it gets to temperature or wait until it gets to the final destination and then pitch?

Has anyone done this with success???

Are there any pitfalls that I am not foreseeing??

Basically the plan is to brew Sunday afternoon and we are leaving Monday morning.

I have moved it over 2 hours after brewing. I always wait until I get home to pitch the yeast though. And I reccomend that if you can transport it in a corny. Its alot easier.

I guess here is the question I need answered.

If fermentation is underway and it is moved and aerated again does that affect the yeast in a bad way? We will be using a starter so fermentation should be well along the way by the time the 2 hour ride begins. It will be between 12 and 15 hours from flameout to final resting place.

I need a good answers to this because everyone else in this group are engineers and will want to know the "scientific" explanations.

I would recommend waiting until you get home to pitch.

Look at it this way - when you brew at home do you shake your primary for 2 hours after you pitch?

I don't know for sure what impact it would have on the beer, but if it were me I'd just wait.

Back