New Holland Dragon's Milk Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mash out at about 165-170. It ranges because I don't have a heated mash tun, so I just sparge with 180* water and it falls in that range through the lautering process.

I am brewing it again next weekend with a few tweaks from my last one that was very close to DM. I will post results in a few months once it goes to bottling.

Quick Newb question, When aging on booze soaked oak chips, do you transfer JUST the chips to secondary or the booze they were soaking in as well?

Update: At bottling it was almost a dead on dragon's milk. With some age, the vanilla flavor started to take over and is more vanilla-y than dragons milk. I think I also picked up some oxidation over the few months, not bad, but enough to make me say that at this point it is not a dragon's milk clone.

The tweaks I made this time was adding 3 vanilla beans and 4 oz of cocoa nibs to the secondary that had been soaking in bourbon as well. Just to make it special, I used new holland beer barrel bourbon on this batch. Next time, I will not add these as I think they were a bit too extreme for a dragons milk clone. It made a great beer, but not one that could be confused with DM.

Quick Newb question, When aging on booze soaked oak chips, do you transfer JUST the chips to secondary or the booze they were soaking in as well?

I always add the wood to the secondary, but save the bourbon they were soaking in and then add it to taste at bottling. The bourbon the wood was soaking in will have a very sharp wood flavor and can be too much in many beers. I did add all the booze once and it tasted like drinking a table leg, so now I add until I get the profile I am looking for in each beer.

I was going to brew a clone of Prairie Bomb until I recently tasted Dragon's Milk! I think Dragon's Milk is the perfect Imperial Stout, great for sipping on a cold evening in front of a fire! Prairie Bomb is aged over chile beans among other flavoring ingredients and is a bit too spicy for me. Thanks for this clone recipe!

Back