Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool. Still can't get over how clear that bottle of wine is. Any pictures of the process?

I don't want to flood this thread with day-by-day pictures in multiple posts, but I'll be putting them all together in one composite image. So far haven't missed a day.

As for the clarity, all I ever did was whatever one else does, strain through a cloth. But then I let it re-settle a second time and a clear layer formed on top and I left everything else behind, which resulted in rather substantial losses (~30% liquid lost).

But here are days 0 through 5, you can see in some pocket liquid forming, but can really notice the volume drop in the container.

composite days 0-5.jpg

Did you by any chance mean this article? (Linked from the one you posted.)

Right off the bat, the article gets a major point dead wrong:

As I and many others in this thread who have done experiments with types of rice can attest, the type of rice you choose absolutely does matter greatly and will determine the final taste, the yield, and the alcohol content.

For example, here is an experiment @Leadgolem did a while back:

Initial Post
Results
Tasting Notes

Just to put it out there as well, there are likely more variables involved, for when I used blue ribbon long-grain rice straight from cost-co I've gotten substantially higher conversion ratio, closer to 60%. Though I did let it go for a bit over to 2 months rather than just 3 weeks.

Also, no presoak, rinsed before cooking, 2:1 dry rice to water ratio, brought to boil, simmered 20 min, let cool in pot, straight into jar with crushed rice balls in layers. Treated it same as I could if I intended to eat the rice, super simple.

My progress was in these posts (note I said jasmine rice in posts below, but was wrong):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7854888#post7854888
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7927467#post7927467
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7945140#post7945140

Wound up with ~1 liter of crystal clear rice wine, very neutral flavor.

I don't want to flood this thread with day-by-day pictures in multiple posts, but I'll be putting them all together in one composite image. So far haven't missed a day.

Just a warning: The rice tends to float up by a significant amount as it liquefies. I lost quite a bit of liquid when the mass floated up and forced the liquid to overflow. I don't fill my jars past half-way up now because of this. It doesn't happen every time, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Just to put it out there as well, there are likely more variables involved, for when I used blue ribbon long-grain rice straight from cost-co I've gotten substantially higher conversion ratio, closer to 60%. Though I did let it go for a bit over to 2 months rather than just 3 weeks.

Also, no presoak, rinsed before cooking, 2:1 dry rice to water ratio, brought to boil, simmered 20 min, let cool in pot, straight into jar with crushed rice balls in layers. Treated it same as I could if I intended to eat the rice, super simple.

My progress was in these posts (note I said jasmine rice in posts below, but was wrong):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7854888#post7854888
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7927467#post7927467
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7945140#post7945140

Wound up with ~1 liter of crystal clear rice wine, very neutral flavor.

That's very interesting and warrants further experimentation. The only time I got significant conversion was when I also added 1/4 cup of RYR. The flavor was still not very good compared to jasmine or glutinous rice. (Dry and slightly bitter with a bit of fruitiness from the RYR.)

That you used long-grain rice may explain why you got a neutral flavor. When you first made that post where you said it was the closest thing to a flavorless alcoholic beverage, I was kind of confused since you said you used jasmine. My results from long-grain were quite bland apart from some sourness and slight bitterness. I think you would find the taste produced by jasmine rice quite a bit more flavorful. I also found my results with long-grain to be relatively low alcohol. When you drank yours, did you feel it was equivalent to wine/sake in alcohol content?

I do know that my experiments with cooking methods definitely did make an impact on liquid volume. Cooking in a rice cooker yielded quite a bit more liquid than steaming. I chalk that up to increased water content, not increased conversion.

I'm wondering if the yeast balls used had a significant impact on the conversion ratio. You used a different brand than I did. Mine are made by Hang Hing Marine Products Co. in China.

The flavor was still not very good compared to jasmine or glutinous rice. (Dry and slightly bitter with a bit of fruitiness from the RYR.)

That you used long-grain rice may explain why you got a neutral flavor. When you first made that post where you said it was the closest thing to a flavorless alcoholic beverage, I was kind of confused since you said you used jasmine. My results from long-grain were quite bland apart from some sourness and slight bitterness. I think you would find the taste produced by jasmine rice quite a bit more flavorful. I also found my results with long-grain to be relatively low alcohol. When you drank yours, did you feel it was equivalent to wine/sake in alcohol content?

Did you rack off only the clear? or drink it with solids left in? I can't say I know what mine would've tasted like if I drank it milky white because I just didn't try it like that. And I wonder how much of the difference in flavors between different rices would go away if all that was kept from each batch was the clear.

The flavor I would put very similar to a bone dry sake, made it very refreshing. If I had to guess I would put the alch% probably around 18%? Definitely hit harder than the store-bought Sayuri Sake, Junmai Hakutsuru (15%) that I was used to drinking, so it could've been up to 20%.

It had no sourness or bitterness at all, some people say that flavors like that occur when fermenting at too high a temp and I kept mine in a relatively cool part of my home. Other thing I noticed is that not many other people are using airlocks.

At the end of it all I have to remember that I have a sample size of 1 currently, my first batch, my second one is in progress....we'll see if I get similar results or if I lucked out and got a good product as a fluke. Lots of variables are going on in this thread between each person's ingredients and procedure, would be hard to control for all of em.

As a side note, I have to get more of these wide-mouth 1-gallon jars. They seem really suited to purpose for this process, and now I want to experiment with different types of rice, and maybe the artificial conversion and packet yeasts.

Did you rack off only the clear? or drink it with solids left in?

I didn't rack, but it settled for months before I drank it. Initially, I poured off only clear liquid, but later glasses were very much filled with sediment until the last ones were thick. The sediment does change the flavor making it taste more like the rice that was used and it changes the mouth feel, but generally the flavor was somewhat similar both ways.

The flavor I would put very similar to a bone dry sake, made it very refreshing. If I had to guess I would put the alch% probably around 18%? Definitely hit harder than the store-bought Sayuri Sake, Junmai Hakutsuru (15%) that I was used to drinking, so it could've been up to 20%.

Wow, quite a stark contrast with my results. Mine were rather low alcohol. I've never had a bone dry sake before. The last time I had sake was Gekkeikan (cheap stuff) which I would describe as mildly sweet with a melon-like flavor. I'll have to get some more long-grain rice at Costco next time and some different yeast balls and try again. I'm gonna be set on rice until doomsday with a 50 lb bag of jasmine rice, a 20 lb bag of brown rice, and 25 lb bag of Blue Ribbon long-grain rice. :smack:

It had no sourness or bitterness at all, some people say that flavors like that occur when fermenting at too high a temp and I kept mine in a relatively cool part of my home. Other thing I noticed is that not many other people are using airlocks.

I actually like the subtle tartness in my results. My house is generally in the 60's most of the year (San Francisco), so I don't think temp would have been an issue. I'm sure some of it is just due to the natural bacteria/yeasts floating around and/or in the yeast balls. As for air locks, @chonas who has done a bunch of experimentation has reported that lack of oxygen during the fungus growing stage contributes to more sourness. He's also said excess water can cause it to.

I wonder what the final PH of yours is since you say it's got no sourness. A while back I was concerned about the possibility of botulism being able to grow during the fermentation phase due to too low acidity (and low oxygen due to the fact that yeast use it up) so I tested the PH of my batch and it was <= 4.0, so no problems there. I've never read anything about botulism in rice wine, but I just wanted to be safe knowing that pretty much anything from the ground has the potential to have botulinum spores.

and now I want to experiment with different types of rice, and maybe the artificial conversion and packet yeasts.

Me too. I've done experiments with long-grain, jasmine, glutinous, and glutinous rice flour. From my results, the best taste and highest alcohol yield was achieved with mostly jasmine with a bit of glutinous mixed in cooked wet in a rice cooker. (I feel like a little extra water helps it vs steaming the rice.) I'm really interested in trying ARL though.

Good grief. You guys are taking this to a higher level. I wouldn't have known what to even bother trying to measure. I'm going to have to take a good look at my processes and buy a bunch more yeast balls and a few 2g brew buckets.

Hey! I have made this wine once before in winters. An I make this at a temp of 25-27c? I have arl and ec 1118 or Cotè Des Blanc.

Hey! I have made this wine once before in winters. An I make this at a temp of 25-27c? I have arl and ec 1118 or Cotè Des Blanc.

Gotta use the ARL. ARL isn't just yeast, it also contains fungi that break down the starch in the rice into simple sugars that the yeast can ferment. You might get slightly different fermentation character if you add a wine yeast in addition to ARL, but it's certainly not necessary.

25-27C is totally okay, temperature-wise.

Others in this thread have had a higher chance of going sour/vinegary in higher temperatures, so be careful with the amount of oxygen you allow in after its fermenting.

Most success is had around cooler temps of 15°C to 20°C (or in the 60's °F or even lwoer)

I've got 10 cups (dry) of rice going in a 2g brew bucket. I haven't taken the lid off it to check progress yet, which is killing me. I need to put it in a closet or something so I'm not staring at the opaque container lustfully.

How did you efficiently cook and cool 10 cups of rice? I took this approach last night, and it took forever.
How many yeast balls did you use?

How did you efficiently cook and cool 10 cups of rice? I took this approach last night, and it took forever.

Aroma Housewares 20 Cup Cooked (10 cup uncooked) Digital Rice Cooker, Slow Cooker, Food Steamer, SS Exterior (ARC-150SB) Around $40 on Amazon or Walmart.

I cool my rice is a huge stainless bowl covered in a towel or just let it set in the cooker overnight.

Aroma Housewares 20 Cup Cooked (10 cup uncooked) Digital Rice Cooker, Slow Cooker, Food Steamer, SS Exterior (ARC-150SB) Around $40 on Amazon or Walmart.

I cool my rice is a huge stainless bowl covered in a towel or just let it set in the cooker overnight.

Awesome, thanks! I just snagged one off of Amazon for ~$30; that will be a lot easier next time, as my little Aroma took one look at the 5lb bag and scurried back into the cupboard.

I only used three yeast balls, and am thinking I should add another one (or more?) today. How many did you use for ten cups?

I normally used 1 ball per 2cups of dry rice BUT i usually added some red yeast rice too. Its been awhile since i used them but IIRC that is correct.

Well... "efficiently" isn't the word I'd use.

BUT

I used a 22qt pasta/lobster pot to cook the rice in one go. Didn't take any longer than cooking any other qty of rice.

I only used that because I left my rice cooker behind when I moved to Nashville. That thing was gold and cooked rice perfectly every time.

Cooling it was a headache. What I ended up doing was spooning it out and flattening it (more or less) on a cookie sheet while I went and did other stuff with my evening.

I MAY have overdone it on the yeast balls. I kept looking and couldn't seem to get a straight answer, so I used 1 per dry cup of rice. I bought a bunch from our buddy over on eBay.

I mixed it up a bit when I handled the yeast balls. The idea of "evenly distributing" crushed yeast balls in what's essentially a full 2 gallon brew bucket just seemed stupid. So I put them in the blender with about 3/4 cup of room temp water.

Once the rice was in the bucket I just poured the resulting slurry pretty evenly around the top, then took a large wooden spoon and worked it around as well as reasonable.

One batch is at exactly one month today, the other is 2 weeks old and, while I haven't cracked the top to look, this approach seems to have done wonders. When I pick either pail up by the handle and swish it around, it seems to be mostly fluid (one less so obviously.)

I might rack the first batch this weekend, see what I get. (I like it to be crystal clear, so I spend quite a long time on the clarification/reracking process.)

I mixed it up a bit when I handled the yeast balls. The idea of "evenly distributing" crushed yeast balls in what's essentially a full 2 gallon brew bucket just seemed stupid. So I put them in the blender with about 3/4 cup of room temp water.

Once the rice was in the bucket I just poured the resulting slurry pretty evenly around the top, then took a large wooden spoon and worked it around as well as reasonable.

That sounds like a great idea. Pounding on the yeast balls, not getting it everywhere, and layering it throughout the rice was annoying. I will definitely try it your way next time, thanks!

I just cook the rice, put it in the jar, and put it in the fridge overnight. The next day, I let it warm up, then put the yeast balls in. I suppose you could do the same without putting it in the fridge if your jar is too large for the fridge.

I took a similar approach and crushed the yeast balls, then added them to a flask with some wort which I then put on a stir plate. I let it run for about a day then poured over the cooked rice. It seemed to do a nice job starting off the fermentation and distributing the yeast.

I took a similar approach and crushed the yeast balls, then added them to a flask with some wort which I then put on a stir plate. I let it run for about a day then poured over the cooked rice. It seemed to do a nice job starting off the fermentation and distributing the yeast.

That definitely sounds like a further improvement.

That sounds like a great idea. Pounding on the yeast balls, not getting it everywhere, and layering it throughout the rice was annoying. I will definitely try it your way next time, thanks!

A few years ago, when I always had some in process I did it that way. It's just too much of a pain in the neck.

I don't like the fact that this is adding water to it. But it's a pretty small price to pay over the long haul I think.

Actually, I don't think it works very well. My first 2 batches I did by blending, once in a blender and once with a stick blender. The result is a slurry that's extremely difficult to filter -- much moreso than when the grains are left whole.

Edit: Oops, re-read the original post and noticed he didn't blend the rice, just the balls.

Actually, I don't think it works very well. My first 2 batches I did by blending, once in a blender and once with a stick blender. The result is a slurry that's extremely difficult to filter -- much moreso than when the grains are left whole.

Edit: Oops, re-read the original post and noticed he didn't blend the rice, just the balls.

heh.

Though I've actually been wondering about that as well. Filtration aside, does it produce a greater yield?

heh.

Though I've actually been wondering about that as well. Filtration aside, does it produce a greater yield?

It's hard to tell. I did it twice, both times with normal long-grained rice. One batch had a bunch of red yeast rice too. The RYR batch definitely had better yield and more alcohol. The other batch was basically non-alcoholic. It's tough to gauge yield also because you're adding a lot of extra water.

I use a small spice grinder. Add however many partially crushed yeast balls with a few tablespoons of RYR. Run the grinder but take care not to get it hot. Just pulse the grinder until its a coarse powder.

Spread the powder over the cooked/cooled rice. Mix and add more powder until its reasonably covered. Pack it all in a jar. If you keep a faucet running, wetting your hand occasionally helps with any sticking.

So i started a batch 4 days ago. I used 4 cups sushi rice and 4 golden lion yeast balls. Added yeast and mixed a bit when the rice was probably about 105 degrees.
Capped with a sanatized rag and then the jar lid on top. I have fuzzy white on top, but no liquid at all yet.
Also ive noticed that the fuzzy white mold has very very small black spots in places.
Is this spores?
Does this sound abnormal?
Sorry if this was asked before, i read thru the first 56 pages and didnt see anyone having a similar experience.
Thanks

So i started a batch 4 days ago. I used 4 cups sushi rice and 4 golden lion yeast balls. Added yeast and mixed a bit when the rice was probably about 105 degrees.
Capped with a sanatized rag and then the jar lid on top. I have fuzzy white on top, but no liquid at all yet.
Also ive noticed that the fuzzy white mold has very very small black spots in places.
Is this spores?
Does this sound abnormal?
Sorry if this was asked before, i read thru the first 56 pages and didnt see anyone having a similar experience.
Thanks

It's asked every month or so it seems. Too bad there's no thread search on this site.

Mold is normal. It's in the "yeast" ball and is responsible for converting the rice starch to sugar so the yeast can eat it. Some people never see the mold fuzz or spore. Theories have been suggested saying higher water content, warmer temperature, and even lack of oxygen will make it spore. I have no idea. All I know is every batch I've ever made has visible mold.

4 days isn't necessarily long enough to see liquefaction, but generally you should cool the rice to room temperature before adding the "yeast" ball.

Thank you for the reply. I knew that the mold was common but hadnt heard about the little black spots. As for adding yeast when hot, towards the beginning of the thread, I had read that adding the yeast when the rice was just cool enough to handle and then capping it to capture condensation. Regardless of how this batch comes out, i will try again, and will add the yeast to the rice once it has cooled a bit more.
Thank you again.

Thank you for the reply. I knew that the mold was common but hadnt heard about the little black spots. As for adding yeast when hot, towards the beginning of the thread, I had read that adding the yeast when the rice was just cool enough to handle and then capping it to capture condensation. Regardless of how this batch comes out, i will try again, and will add the yeast to the rice once it has cooled a bit more.
Thank you again.

Most of the time I see black dots on the ends of the white strands.

I think just about everyone has their own technique. Some think more water can cause souring and spoilage while others think it helps increase the alcohol level. There are so many variations of rice wine, it almost seems like there's no wrong way to do it. That's not to say every batch is successful.

Can i make the wine in refrigerator? The highest temperature my refrigerator can produce is about 10C-12C. Last time i made this wine with ARL, it was winters and the temperature was about 16c-24c. Now in summers, the average temp is somewhere about 30C-32C. Also, last time the wine was too tart. I steamed the rice for 1.25 hours until they were chewy, let them cool, put them in a ceramic jar and added the ARL. Then i added bakers yeast after one week mark upon not seeing any alcohol and then the Alcohol smell increased. I plan on using Cote Des Blanc yeast or Montrachet this time as i have heard they preserve fruitiness.

When being made again with ARL, What steps should i use to achieve less/No tartness, more clarity(Transparent prefered), more fruity wine?

How does this wine age? What is the temp required for this?

Edit: @tbig, i think you have made some experiments with this; Can you please comment on this? And on adding yeast to the rice? after how much time to add yeast? i read cote des blanc works 50F-80F so its good in fridge, and it does not result to complete dryness near 50F. Use of ARL? i dont have access to yeast balls.

"
Yes, if you are at a temp the yeast will work in. But even in the 30's degree F temps of my garage, it doesn't slow it down much, and I think the enzymes not at all. I get a lot of conversion to liquid in the first 48 hours, and for the next few days after that, the rice is actually delicious. Very sweet like a rice pudding. After the first week though, the yeast has started going to town and eats up that sweetness in a hurry.

At whatever temps you make the rice wine, it takes a long time to finish completely. That's why many end up heating/sterilizing it. Even after a couple months you can have bottle bombs. After a couple weeks you can probably drink it after straining, but I just follow my Chinese friend's instruction. One month on the rice.. no more, no less. That's when I strain off the solids. But then I get it into a glass carboy and let it completely finish and clear on its own. I've tried to rush it and bottle it sooner, but ended up with some sediment in the bottom after a while. Reminds me of making mead... it just takes time and patience if you want it nice and clear without additives. If you're the type that doesn't mind your drink a bit cloudy, like a wheat beer, then it'll be ready for you way before that. A bit different flavors. Some have liked that better than the finished clear stuff. To each his/her own?

What I haven't tried since I make large batches of at least 10lbs rice, nearly filling a 7.5 gal brewing bucket, and I know I get changes in temps in the garage. Someone might try mixing a smaller batch, mix in the yeast balls, then store it in the fridge. See how if it works at a steady low temp? Some fridges only get into the low 40's and I think it would work perfect if the wife doesn't kick you out and you have some space for it.
"

Can i make the wine in refrigerator? The highest temperature my refrigerator can produce is about 10C-12C. Last time i made this wine with ARL, it was winters and the temperature was about 16c-24c. Now in summers, the average temp is somewhere about 30C-32C. Also, last time the wine was too tart. I steamed the rice for 1.25 hours until they were chewy, let them cool, put them in a ceramic jar and added the ARL. Then i added bakers yeast after one week mark upon not seeing any alcohol and then the Alcohol smell increased. I plan on using Cote Des Blanc yeast or Montrachet this time as i have heard they preserve fruitiness.

When being made again with ARL, What steps should i use to achieve less/No tartness, more clarity(Transparent prefered), more fruity wine?

How does this wine age? What is the temp required for this?

Edit: @tbig, i think you have made some experiments with this; Can you please comment on this? And on adding yeast to the rice? after how much time to add yeast? i read cote des blanc works 50F-80F so its good in fridge, and it does not result to complete dryness near 50F. Use of ARL? i dont have access to yeast balls.

""

I tried making it in the fridge and it didn't work. My fridge temp was lower though. I plan on trying again in case it was just a fluke.

My posts on the topic:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7877018&postcount=5718
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7902110&postcount=5722
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7924862&postcount=5733

I tried making it in the fridge and it didn't work. My fridge temp was lower though. I plan on trying again in case it was just a fluke.

My posts on the topic:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7877018&postcount=5718
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7902110&postcount=5722
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7924862&postcount=5733

Maybe try to make the ARL/yeast balls work first by letting them sit in warm temp, so that it can grow good amount of mold; get the process going. The packet of ARL says to keep the rice and arl mix in 30C for 2-3 days to get fermented rice. Which is what we want. THEN, put in the yeast and keep it in the fridge. I have yet to try out, because i dont drink much, just have this strange itch to make this rice wine.

Maybe try to make the ARL/yeast balls work first by letting them sit in warm temp, so that it can grow good amount of mold; get the process going. The packet of ARL says to keep the rice and arl mix in 30C for 2-3 days to get fermented rice. Which is what we want. THEN, put in the yeast and keep it in the fridge. I have yet to try out, because i dont drink much, just have this strange itch to make this rice wine.

That's a good idea. I will probably be starting another batch soon as well. I'll do two -- one in the fridge from the start again and one leaving it out for about 4-5 days depending on liquid level, then move it to the fridge. I almost never drink anymore either, but I like homebrewing and in particular making rice wine a lot. I just pasteurize and keep it stored for the random occasion I decide to have some.

I need to get some ARL too. That would be fun to experiment with. I can't find it locally in San Francisco in Chinatown or the bigger east Asian stores. I could check a Korean store I suppose, but there's only one small one I know of in the city. Either that or ebay.

That's a good idea. I will probably be starting another batch soon as well. I'll do two -- one in the fridge from the start again and one leaving it out for about 4-5 days depending on liquid level, then move it to the fridge. I almost never drink anymore either, but I like homebrewing and in particular making rice wine a lot. I just pasteurize and keep it stored for the random occasion I decide to have some.

I need to get some ARL too. That would be fun to experiment with. I can't find it locally in San Francisco in Chinatown or the bigger east Asian stores. I could check a Korean store I suppose, but there's only one small one I know of in the city. Either that or ebay.

eBay is good. If you want to wait sometime, get it from aliexpress, china. They manufacture ARL so it's very cheap.

Edit: I found this temperature range on a rice wine yeast description. So it would be good to ferment the wine at 20-25 for about 2 weeks and then add yeast for alcohol and store at low temp.

IMG_6890.PNG

eBay is good. If you want to wait sometime, get it from aliexpress, china. They manufacture ARL so it's very cheap.

Edit: I found this temperature range on a rice wine yeast description. So it would be good to ferment the wine at 20-25 for about 2 weeks and then add yeast for alcohol and store at low temp.

Thanks for the tip! Interesting about these directions. I'll reference them if I get some ARL.

Interesting. My first attempt came out similar to what sarthak just described, but didn't see anyone else having the same problem in the thread over the 1-2 times I skimmed it in the last two months or so!

I suspect it was too cold, temperatures in my apartment wouldn't have been over 16C. I used some 2 year old sushi rice, steamed, about 6-7 cups worth, with some Chinese yeast balls. Gave it 4 weeks, definitely got a strong acetone smell around week 2, although it mellowed out over time.

Yield was low compared to what I was reading, maybe 500mLs, although I was finding it frustrating to squeeze the lees and probably could have gotten another 100-200mLs if I'd stuck with it. Came out very tart and with a relatively low ABV, maybe like ~8-10% based on how I felt after a glass. I actually didn't mind the tartness too much as I like sipping on things with a strong taste (black coffee, whiskey, etc), but I wouldn't offer it to anyone else, so I considered the batch a failure. It did play nicely with some raspberry cordial.

Despite this, I'm encouraged to try again, as it seems like most people are quite happy with the results when it's done correctly. I've been making beer for about a year and a half, and this is kind of a fun departure. I ordered some ARL from China, which arrived a week or two ago. RYR seems impossible to find in Australia; nobody seems to sell it online, and the two bigger Asian grocers in town said although they'd had it in the past, don't carry it now. I've got a Chinese friend who owes me a favour, so I might put them on it...

I picked up some 3.8L glass jars from KMart ($7/ea, have a cork stopper) and two 5kg sacks of rice from the big Asian grocery/restaurant supply store. In addition to doing side-by-side ARL vs yeast balls, I'm trying both Thai glutinous and Thai jasmine rice, before committing to one of the 25kg sacks, which are a lot more cost effective. I kinda stuffed up a bit when I was making it; steaming 12 cups of Jasmine was taking ages so I wound up dumping it in to the water after a while then stirring it up and letting it sit... which actually came out perfectly. I tried just straight water with the glutinous (1.5 cups per 1 cup dry glutinous rice) and it was waaay too much water, poured a fair bit of it off. Seemed to come out OK in the end, but so much for consistant methodology. I also forgot to StarSan the first jar, although from what I understand this stuff isn't as precious about infection as beer is.

I've placed them in my fermentation chamber for now, which is in the low 20s (have a pale ale in there right now). I'd like to remove them after a few days so I can put my JOAM back in (I suspect a stalled fermentation there due to low temps as well), but we'll see.

Does anyone have suggestions for steaming large batches? Assuming I can get something to turn out drinkable, I'd like to scale up to fermenting in the 30L PET buckets I have, and I think my eBIAB rig could work pretty well. It's a Bayou-type kettle with the perforated SS bucket, which sits above the waterline + heating element. I figured adding the rice (in a BIAB bag) and steaming would work. Does the rice need stirring when being steamed in large batches? It seemed cumbersome to get to the stuff on the bottom, but likely that it would overcook if I didn't. My usual method of cooking rice on the stove is the 1.5:1 in water, which turns out fine, but wouldn't work given the element is inside the kettle in this case.

I have made a new batch with just 150grams of rice and 2grams of ARL. Put it in fridge at 8C-10C just to experiment. Will post updates. From what i have read, ARL has rhizopus Orzyae which is different from aspergillus oryzae(yeast balls/koji). R Orzyae produces more Lactic acid along with alcohol which makes wine more sour. Lactic acid production is reduced at or below 10C, so I am expecting a sweeter result this time.

Interesting. My first attempt came out similar to what sarthak just described, but didn't see anyone else having the same problem in the thread over the 1-2 times I skimmed it in the last two months or so!

I suspect it was too cold, temperatures in my apartment wouldn't have been over 16C. I used some 2 year old sushi rice, steamed, about 6-7 cups worth, with some Chinese yeast balls. Gave it 4 weeks, definitely got a strong acetone smell around week 2, although it mellowed out over time.

Yield was low compared to what I was reading, maybe 500mLs, although I was finding it frustrating to squeeze the lees and probably could have gotten another 100-200mLs if I'd stuck with it. Came out very tart and with a relatively low ABV, maybe like ~8-10% based on how I felt after a glass. I actually didn't mind the tartness too much as I like sipping on things with a strong taste (black coffee, whiskey, etc), but I wouldn't offer it to anyone else, so I considered the batch a failure. It did play nicely with some raspberry cordial.

Despite this, I'm encouraged to try again, as it seems like most people are quite happy with the results when it's done correctly. I've been making beer for about a year and a half, and this is kind of a fun departure. I ordered some ARL from China, which arrived a week or two ago. RYR seems impossible to find in Australia; nobody seems to sell it online, and the two bigger Asian grocers in town said although they'd had it in the past, don't carry it now. I've got a Chinese friend who owes me a favour, so I might put them on it...

I picked up some 3.8L glass jars from KMart ($7/ea, have a cork stopper) and two 5kg sacks of rice from the big Asian grocery/restaurant supply store. In addition to doing side-by-side ARL vs yeast balls, I'm trying both Thai glutinous and Thai jasmine rice, before committing to one of the 25kg sacks, which are a lot more cost effective. I kinda stuffed up a bit when I was making it; steaming 12 cups of Jasmine was taking ages so I wound up dumping it in to the water after a while then stirring it up and letting it sit... which actually came out perfectly. I tried just straight water with the glutinous (1.5 cups per 1 cup dry glutinous rice) and it was waaay too much water, poured a fair bit of it off. Seemed to come out OK in the end, but so much for consistant methodology. I also forgot to StarSan the first jar, although from what I understand this stuff isn't as precious about infection as beer is.

I've placed them in my fermentation chamber for now, which is in the low 20s (have a pale ale in there right now). I'd like to remove them after a few days so I can put my JOAM back in (I suspect a stalled fermentation there due to low temps as well), but we'll see.

Does anyone have suggestions for steaming large batches? Assuming I can get something to turn out drinkable, I'd like to scale up to fermenting in the 30L PET buckets I have, and I think my eBIAB rig could work pretty well. It's a Bayou-type kettle with the perforated SS bucket, which sits above the waterline + heating element. I figured adding the rice (in a BIAB bag) and steaming would work. Does the rice need stirring when being steamed in large batches? It seemed cumbersome to get to the stuff on the bottom, but likely that it would overcook if I didn't. My usual method of cooking rice on the stove is the 1.5:1 in water, which turns out fine, but wouldn't work given the element is inside the kettle in this case.

See this Official sake making video . They steam big quantities.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ethics

Easiest way to cook large quantities of rice: find your biggest oven safe/oven fitting pot. Determine it's volume and divide by 2.3. This is your rice amount. Multiply rice amount by 1.3 and this is your water amount.

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350.
Step 2: Bring water determined in prestep to boil (covered).
Step 2a: Remove from heat.
Step 3: Stir in predetermined rice quantity ASAP.
Step 4: Place covered cooking vessel into oven for 20-45 minutes depending on volume.
Step 5: Spread cooked rice onto surface to cool to 80-100F.
Step 6: Add 1/4 tsp ARL per liter of cooked rice, and the juice of 1 lemon per 5 gallons.
Step 7: Place in breathable container (preferably at 96F) for 24-48 hours.
Step 8: If there is some liquid in the container, add fermenting yeast (1116 and WLP099 are my favorites so far), and seal w/ bubbler/blowoff.

This method of cooking will turn the rice in the very center a bit mushy, but overall has satisfactory results. Without a commercial rice cooker, it's the best method I've found so far.

Latest posts

Back