I knew it was too good to last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdustguy

Reaction score
Just before the summer ended my Black Labrador had a couple of siezures. A day or two later, my wife caught him eating one of the last remaining Hop Cones off the vine. We brought him to the Vet and the he thinks that may have been the problem. To make sure I wrapped the area in chicken wire. Well he has not had a siezure since. This past weekend my wife took down the chicken wire and the dug the rhyzomes out of the ground and tossed them. I love the dog and he is my best buddy in the world and I don't want to see anything happen to him but I enjoyed growing the Hops too. I am not complaining but like everything else I touch, it eventually turns to chit.

DAMN.

I have dogs and hops.

My hops are outside the fence, on the side of the house.

Not by design, but luck.

Thanks for sharing.

Fence?

Throwing out the hops seems a bit reactionary. I mean I feel bad for the dog, but when I was a kid my brother put a fork in an electrical outlet an gave himself a big jolt. Did we go without electricity? Did we abolish forks? No. We got plastic plugs so it wouldn't happen again. Keep the dog away from the hops and there's no reason you can't have your plants back, I say.

Shock collar, and perimeter around hop yard.
You are master of the Dog.

-OCD

Glad the dog didn't get hurt worse and good thing you found the problem.

Now, how thrown out are these rhizomes, because I would be willing to buy them.

The hops are gone. The trash collectors got them before I could rescue them. Looks like I will be purchasing hops from now on. Oh well, I love my dogs, they are my kids now that the nest is empty. I guess it's for the better.

Black Labrador had a couple of siezures.

It would be a really good idea to have your Lab tested for epilepsy. People like to blame hops for any kind of problem with dogs, but epilepsy is genetic and treatable.

I'm glad that your dog is fine. I would hate if this happened to my yellow lab. Ive had her for years, shes my baby! Almost lost her once, she almost drown when i was out with her for a quick walk it at the end of winter and i had to go in after her in a t-shirt and jeans. we both almost had hypothermia.

I have a big ol' golden retriever and he is part of my family (actually, he's most of my family!). I also grow hops. It can be done safely.

But if you're going to get rid of one or the other, of course the right decision was made.

Back