10 Gal. MLT for partial / mini mashes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewenstein

Reaction score
I was going to get a 10 gal. cooler to make into my MLT. If I am doing partial mashes or 1/2 batches (2.5 gal), will this be set up be too big? Thanks.

No, it won't be too big but it's definitely bigger than you need! If you plan on ever using 25 pounds of grain, though, it'll fit in there.

If you don't plan on going AG in the future, or making 5-10 gallon batches, though, you may want to consider getting a 5 gallon Igloo. I have plenty of room in my basement, so I have both!

Consider buying some styrofoam or something from home depot that you can cut to the inside size of the cooler and just float it on top of your grain. That way you have no dead space, and the cooler then effectively becomes the exact right size for the amount of grain+water you put in.

Thanks for the answers so far. I do intend to go all grain, but the funding for the larger brew kettle and possible burner / propane set up is iffy right now. I just didn't want to set up something for the short term and turn around and re-do it later.

I like the idea of floating something on top to help keep the head space minimum :mug:. Never thought of that.

I would definitely wrap the Styrofoam with plastic before putting it on top my my grains though. :mug:

I would do a braid rather than a false bottom for small batches in a big tun. I had some difficulty with an extra thick mash schedule in my 10 gal cooler on a PM 2.5 gal batch

Just my opinion, I feel a 10 gal is too big and would be cumbersome. Your grain bed will be way down at the bottom. Taking mash temps will be more difficult.

A little 16 - 20 qt cooler is very inexpensive and will be much easier to use and clean.

Sure it would work, but it is 4 times larger than what's really needed. Just about any cheap little cooler could be set up w/ a braid and work well for PM.

I just don't like the idea of wrestling w/ a 10 gal. cooler for 5-6 pounds of grain. I like this cute little coleman 16qt.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11030646

On the flip side of this, is a 10-gallon MLT alright for most 5-gallon (in the end) AG batches? I just built one in preparation for AG brewing once I get my large kettle.

Will this run into problems for big brews like Russian Imperial Stouts and Barleywines?

Roughly how many lbs of grain can I expect to get away with in a 10-gal MLT? Thanks!

Roughly how many lbs of grain can I expect to get away with in a 10-gal MLT? Thanks!

30 lbs of grain at 1 qt / lb is 9.9 gallons. per the helpful "can I mash it" calculator below. Not that you would want to try this...for illustrative purposes only!

Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators

A ten gal. cooler is pretty well sized for most any 5 gal. batch.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to putting this to use as soon as my friend helps build a larger kettle. In the meantime, I'll just use it for partial mashes.

Consider buying some styrofoam or something from home depot that you can cut to the inside size of the cooler and just float it on top of your grain. That way you have no dead space, and the cooler then effectively becomes the exact right size for the amount of grain+water you put in.

+1 on this idea. I mash PM and AG in a 5 gal cooler. This allows me to make small beer AG batches and big beers go in as a PM. In any case, the MT is always the right volume.

You can also take your probe thermometer and poke a hole in the center of the foam and just leave it in place durning your mash. This gives a good reading of the temp while still insulating your grains. I like to peek once or twice during mashing.

I don't know about wrapping the foam with foil or plastic wrap. I have never done this and I am not aware of anything that leaches from the foam at temps. up to boiling 212 F. Whatever, to each their own.

Back