Watery Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evandam

Reaction score
I brewed a Northern Brewer Wit It had 6.3lbs of Wheat LME. Tastes good, but the finish is just a little watery. Anyone have a suggestion for something to steep with the LME next time to maybe give it a bit more body?

You could steep wheat malt or cara-pils next time, which won't contribute any fermentables but may make a slight difference with body, one of the easiest ways to improve mouthfeel though is to add 1/2 lb. of malto-dextrin late in the boil. How long has it been in bottles?

It has been in the keg about a week.

Has it fully carbonated yet? I find that beers that are not fully carbonated taste thin and watery. For a Wit I would go with somewhere around 2.5 volumes, so it might not be completely there yet.

Has it fully carbonated yet? I find that beers that are not fully carbonated taste thin and watery. For a Wit I would go with somewhere around 2.5 volumes, so it might not be completely there yet.

Hell, I'd go more than that. I prefer 3 volumes in wit, slightly higher in Hefeweizen. Oh, and you're right about carbonation impacting mouthfeel. ;)

I think Witbier should be slightly chewy, carbonation issues aside. Traditionally, Wit grists contain barley, wheat (malted and unmalted), and oats. Unmalted wheat and oats provide long proteins that not only make the beer cloudy, but also increase the viscosity of the wort, promoting mouthfeel.

Unfortunately, it's not really possible to extract much of the desired stuff from either unmalted wheat or oats without mashing at least some of your fermentables. Steeping ain't gonna get the job done. If you can do even a partial mash, with 2 pounds of barley malt and one pound each of flaked wheat and flaked oats, you can make up the remainder with Weizen LME and have a Witbier with much better mouthfeel (and flavor).

Cheers,

Bob

I made that same kit and it was a bit watery for me as well, I found that it got better with age.

I also happened to mess up that batch when I made it and used a slight bit too much water, I also did a very small boil (2.5g didnt have a big enough pot at the time).

Back