• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Cooler Mash Tun in NoVA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBasham

Reaction score
Nice mash tun for batch-sparge. $75 with long-probe thermometer and stainless mash spoon/paddle.
Local buyers only/inspect before purchase and pickup/U.S. currency/McLean, VA, right above Chain Bridge.

Igloo Cube cooler with stainless steel hose-type filter and ball valve. I have used this for 34-pound grain bills and 10 to 11-gallon initial strike water, no problem, with 6.5 gallons for the second round. Yields around 12 gallons at72% efficiency, with final SG after boil of 10 gallons/1.080. Takes about 2 hours, including water heating time.

Easy dump and clean-up with wheels and a handle.

North Country Malts will ship already-crushed base malts and specialty grains to this area for cheap - around $40 for 25 pounds of base malt and 6 pounds of specialty.

I'll throw in a decent long-probe Fermentap dial thermometer and a big stainless steel mash spoon/paddle for stirring the batch.

It's a good setup but I'm extremely middle-aged and I don't know what to do with 10-12 gallon batches of beer any more.

Thanks for looking!

Jamey

Tun.jpg

Mashinterior.jpg

That's a nice looking cooler conversion. I already have two but a was wondering what parts you used for the filter screen and how it is assembled.

That's a nice looking cooler conversion. I already have two but a was wondering what parts you used for the filter screen and how it is assembled.

Thanks, I bought the hardware as a kit from some outfit that used to sell on the Green Board. I'm not sure who they were or what I paid.

Back