Gypsum question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redman67

Reaction score
I just realized that I forgot to add the boil addition of gypsum to the IPA I brewed Friday. The beer is still fermenting and im wondering if I can boil these salts in a little water now and add to fermenter, or has that ship sailed

It is about 20 Grams of gypsum and 2.5 of epsom

Thanks Shawn

That should be fine. The sulfate is what your after in that beer and that method proposed should work well without diluting the beer too much.

Its debatable if you need to add the minerals to water and boil it or just add the minerals directly to the fermenter. I would just be clean in my handling of the minerals and toss them in the fermenter.

If you were after the pH lowering effects of calcium and magnesium the ship has indeed sailed but if you are after the sulfate effect on hops it hasn't. Apparently you can even add sulfate in the glass. That's how one commercial brewer I know of decides how to adjust gypsum in subsequent brews.

Is there a reason for the magneisum salt? Magnesium is generally flavor negative (sour bitterness), and has half the pH reducing power of calcium. With 7 waters of hydration you are only adding 0.1 gram magnesium and 1 gram of SO4-- when you add 2.5 grams of the salt so it's probably not a big deal at this level.

As AJ says, magnesium can be flavor negative. It should be kept at low levels in most beers, but I can say that it is a nice enhancement in the right styles. In the case of IPA, this is definitely the right style for magnesium and the sour bitterness is very welcome. Don't overdo it though. Keep it below 30 ppm.

Latest posts

Back