Conditioning Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamilt22

Reaction score
Will your beer condition/mature faster in bottles or in the carboy?

The specific beer in question was a Triple, (1.078) and has been in the carboy for ~6 weeks. I've asked a few people and have gotten mixed responses...

What do you guys think?

Going forward, bottles or better yet kegs are the ideal container to condition/age beer in. Carboys are clear so they are susceptible to skunking. You also have to worry about autolysis if you are for extended periods on the cake.

Ah. Thanks for the response.

To clarify, the carboy is in a dark closet at 68*. There appears to be about a half-inch of sediment on the bottom.

Let me rephrase my question:

Will beer mature better in a large-volume container (a carboy) as opposed to a 12oz bottle? Will there be perceivable differences between beer that spends a long time in a properly cared for carboy versus bottled beer?

I think it ages better and more evenly in bulk. There is considerably more yeast in the carboy than in individual bottles which speeds/aids the aging. By the time my beers go into bottles or kegs they are already mellow and flavorful.

Back