Partial mash or grain steeping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhymenoceros

Reaction score
Whats the differance between partial mash and grain steeping, and how do I know which one this recipe is?

7 lbs. Light Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.18 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.68 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.34 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3.34 %
2.1 oz Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 1.74 %
2.1 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 1.74 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028) Yeast-Ale

If you are looking to get fermentables that add to the gravity of the wort then you are mashing. If you are looking to get just colour and flavour then it's steeping.

To mash you need the enzymes to convert the starch to sugars.so the temperature control and duration is much more important then when steeping.

looking at the above recipe apart from the base you only have a few oz of the grains so I'd say it's a steep recipe Although the Munich is a base malt and would normally be mashed.

As Orfy said, generally Partial mash recipes will sub base malt for extract (or extract for base malt depending on how the recipe starts out AG or Extract). You'll usually see 2-row, 6-row, marris otter etc in the 3-4lbs range (though that varies) and malt extract amounts either in the same amounts or smaller.

Just keep in mind the basic idea with PM is to remove as much malt extract as possible by adding base malt and base malts usually make up the biggest % of a grain bill (in my experience anyway, there may be expections). If in doubt see what is the biggest amount of grain you need and use the wiki to see if it needs to be mashed.

Back