"corny" Legal or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamming

Reaction score
Just found a great deal on a stack of corny kegs at a local garage sale and as soon as i get back to my RV "camping" Guy next to me says those are illegal to own, Well my only answer was, They don't make them anymore and even beer brew stores sell-em. Whats the deal with this comment. Is it true or just some bull from the past ? $5 bucks each was very difficult to pass up, But i did ask "were did you buy them" and he said at a auction. But i am concerned about supporting any ilegal activity and would rather pay $50 bucks each than support theft. There is no special markings on them but are in good shape and have co2 still present. Whats the deal ? :mug:

Illegal corny kegs? I'm not sure I understand...Private sales (i.e. garage sales) are typically tax-exempt and 100% legal as long as the buyer does not have a legitimate reason to believe the transaction is illegal. So the intent of the transaction is really between you and the seller. I doubt the FDA or DEA will be running checks on your cornies, btw...

As far as I know, almost every corney keg for sale is legal ... The soda indusry largely discontinued their use years ago when the moved to syrup boxes ... Whether the particular kegs were stolen, who knows

I commend you on your honesty! Please forward the contact information for the person that has the cornies. I'll look into it further...

You are fine, they are totally legal. Your friend may be talking about actual beer kegs that are owned by the brewery that they come from.

In answer to your question, these are serving containers that were formerly used by the soda industry so any legal *mind wanders off*...

My god did you say 5 dollar cornys?

I would also like to talk to this gentleman about these kegs, just to make sure they legal.......Holy $#!+.......5$ per keg, buy them and mail me one,lol.

I only bought 6 of them and he had 4 more. But the ones i got are in the best shape. The person that said they are illegal to own also said he worked for "pepsi" for thirty years so thats what made me wonder. But these dont say pepsi on them, They say alpac and one says coke. Thanks for your answers.

First, speaking as someone who just today had personal property stolen by someone, I commend you on your desire to be honest.

Second, when companies sell their corny kegs to the scrap yard, they lose any control over how they are used... duh! In my neck of the woods, they have been putting a pinhole in all of the kegs before selling them at the scrap yard, specifically to prevent reuse.

[...]In my neck of the woods, they have been putting a pinhole in all of the kegs before selling them at the scrap yard, specifically to prevent reuse.

The ruthless bastids!

Still, if it's truly just a "pinhole", a bit of silver solder should seal it back up, yes?

Cheers!

I got twenty of them for free from a distributor that discontinued them and I'm getting another fifty......but eve a five spot each is a great deal

Whoever it was that to,d you they are illegal to own is full of sh@t

Thanks for responding, I feel better about my purchase. I am going to use 4 of them this fall to make a lager and maybe a pumpkin ale for the Holidays. Just need to get some ball lock connectors and use the gas side.

I would have bought them all and sold any that I didn't feel I could use. Heck, any that don't hold pressure well could be used for fermenters.

I would have bought them all and sold any that I didn't feel I could use. Heck, any that don't hold pressure well could be used for fermenters.

Was running out of room in my motorhome because all the other stuff my wife bought, was loaded going home. :D

The correct action would have been to toss her #$% out of the motorhome to make more room for kegs.

Back