Question about PVC in Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmunos

Reaction score
I just built an awesome false bottom for my Mash Tun out of PVC. I saw pictures of a lot of members on here using it but now im worried it might make my beer taste funny. . . anyone have any experience or input?

You should have used CPVC...it's pvc designed for high temps and is designed for drinking water...PVC is designed for non-potable water, like on your sprinklers.

PVC does not transmit any off flavors but like SD-SLIM said you need CPVC for the higher temperatures of the mash. Look at the tubing, CPVC will have a 180F rating stenciled on the side.

should be alright, but pvc does leach chemicals into anything over 75 degrees. being mash/mashout is in the 149-168 range, that might be a problem. in the real-life world, everybody will live

Dang!!!!! I spent an hour! haha thanks for the help everyone

Just built one a couple of weeks ago out of cpvc. Got it through homedepot. Think it was even cheaper than pvc. 5 or 6 bucks for everything. So at least your only out an hour of your time.

PVC does not transmit any off flavors but like SD-SLIM said you need CPVC for the higher temperatures of the mash. Look at the tubing, CPVC will have a 180F rating stenciled on the side.

I have read that the difference is that CPVC will retain it's strength for pressure applications at higher temperatures. PVC will soften slightly, but for a MT application w/ no pressure, strength is not a concern.

Does PVC "leach chemicals" at higher temps? Or is the difference b/w PVC and CPVC is the physical properties at higher temps? Sounds like a job for Mythbusters.:mug:

I have read that the difference is that CPVC will retain it's strength for pressure applications at higher temperatures. PVC will soften slightly, but for a MT application w/ no pressure, strength is not a concern.

Does PVC "leach chemicals" at higher temps? Or is the difference b/w PVC and CPVC is the physical properties at higher temps? Sounds like a job for Mythbusters.:mug:

Both will leach chemicals, in the case of CPVC those chemicals amount to relatively small amounts of chloramines. That said, it is doubtful that the quantities of these "leached" chemicals will affect you or your brew.

I would be much more concerned with PVC actually breaking down and releasing toxins after prolonged exposure to high temps which is why you're better off using CPVC vs PVC in your mash tun.

If you're still concerned about the CPVC leaching chloramines then you can build one out of copper instead. Of course, then you will be leaching copper into your brew instead of chloramines but the amounts are probably negligible in both cases or at least as far as home brewing is concerned.

So what is the best solution... i did build one today out of cpvc and it looks even better!

So what is the best solution... i did build one today out of cpvc and it looks even better!

CPVC is fine...in the process of converting PVC to CPVC, they use salt to create a chlorine chemical in the plastic to prevent mold from growing in the pipe...CPVC is regulated by the EPA and Local Health Departments for residential usage in water lines since the 50's..the only difference would be that wort is acidic and could possibly break down CPVC...but I have had a CPVC manifold for over 2 years and not once have I ever had any sort of leeching in to my wort!

Back