Brett B starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krumb

Reaction score
I've got a .5 Liter starter of Wyeast Brett B 5112 and was planning on pitching it into a Dark Winter Saison (BYO/Oldsocks/Mad Fermenter recipe) along with WLP565.

I've also got a Wyeast 3711 saison that is nearing kegging time. I was going to pull 2 gallons from the French Saison, rack it onto 2 lbs of pears, and pitch some of the brett starter. Do I have enough to split between 2 gallons and 5 gallons?

The French Saison finished at around 1.003...I'm figuring the pears will add some sugar for the brett b to munch on, but I wanted to make sure I had enough of the starter to even consider this.

Thanks!

All my Brett starters have been around 1 pint per 5 gallon batch. That being said, since ambient Brett can infect beer or wine, 1 liter should be fine split between your two batches.

Or, if you don't mind waiting another week, you could just split your starter between 2 new 1 liter starters.

Cheers!
Kevin

It depends on how much brett character you want. If you want a subdued one, then less Brett on a more attenuated beer is the way to go. If you want a lot of character, then more brett or less attenuation on the original beer will be the method for that.

The sugar in the pear juice will is just simple carbohydrates and will be consumed by the sacc before the Brett can get to it.

As a secondary yeast, you only need a small amount of Brett yeast. You have plenty enough for both beers.

The sugar in the pear juice will is just simple carbohydrates and will be consumed by the sacc before the Brett can get to it.

As a secondary yeast, you only need a small amount of Brett yeast. You have plenty enough for both beers.

Actually a really nice thing about making perry is that pears actually have quite a bit of sugars that are unfermentable by sacch, long chain sugars that leave them nicely sweet, these sugars will feed the brett during the long haul

Actually a really nice thing about making perry is that pears actually have quite a bit of sugars that are unfermentable by sacch, long chain sugars that leave them nicely sweet, these sugars will feed the brett during the long haul

Thanks for the correction. I assumed they were similar to apples.

Back