Purchased My Kit Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyJersey

Reaction score
After lurking on this website for nearly a year, I finally took the plunge and ordered an equipment kit from Midwest Supplies.

Midwest Supplies is having a 1 day online sale today (March 24th). Everything ordered online will be 10% off...including brewing kits! I couldn't pass this up....

Rather than buying a basic kit and acquiring additional items here and there, I went for the "Everything + a Carboy Complete Brewing Equipment Kit." This equipment kit looks to be an abosolute steal! It includes;

Instructional Homebrewing Video or DVD
• 71 page instructional book
• 5 Gallon Glass Carboy
• 6.5 Gallon Plastic Fermenter with Lid
• 6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket with Spigot
• 8 Oz. of Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
• Drilled Universal Carboy Bung
• Airlock (Keeps air out of the fermenter)
• Hydrometer (Determines alcohol content)
• Bottle Brush
• Carboy Brush
• Twin Lever Red Baron Bottle Capper
• Bottle Caps
• Liquid Crystal Thermometer
• Bottle Filler
• Fermtech AutoSiphon upgrade
• Siphon Tubing
• Shutoff clamp
• A 5-gallon Stainless Steel Brew Kettle
• Your choice (1) of the Irish Red Ale, Irish Stout, or the Autumn Amber Recipe Kit
• And 2 cases of 12 ounce bottles

The regular price was $169.99, but with today's 10% off, it came out to $152.96.

I went with the Irish Red Ale. It has several positive reviews on the Midwest website, and it seems like a relatively easy kit to start with.

I wanted to take advantage of the sale, so I added a Fermtech Wine Thief, a 21 inch stainless steel spoon, a 144 count pack of bottle caps and a dial thermometer for the brew kettle.

The kit plus all of the add-ons will be shipped to my front door in New Jersey for $218.

Can't wait to get started!

*I am in no way affiliated with Midwest. I'm just super excited about my purchase and wanted to share the sale info with everyone!

Others will hate me for saying this, but it's too bad it didn't have a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. Nothing beats watching fermentation occur, especially for a beginner!

BUT, what you ordered is complete. That is a great price too!

Sounds like a very complete kit.

The only comment I would have is come bottling day you may want to have a few more bottles ready than your two cases that came with the kit.

Good luck and enjoy!

While you're waiting for the stuff, go to Barnes & Noble and grab "How to Brew" by Palmer. And wyzazz is right--you need sanitizer. For your first batch, you can get some unscented Clorox bleach, but when you order your next batch, get some Star San.

Good luck.....and kiss your wallet goodbye:)

Sounds like a very complete kit.

The only comment I would have is come bottling day you may want to have a few more bottles ready than your two cases that came with the kit.

Good luck and enjoy!

Or just start drinking store-bought beer now!!!

Really, though, great choice on the kit. I'm sure you'll be very happy. Also, give us an update on the Irish Red. I have been thinking about that kit for a little while now, just haven't pulled the trigger (too many other brews lined up!).

Or if your wallet is strapped already, you can make due with the online 1st edition of How To Brew here. And start listening to Basic Brewing Radio and Brewing Network podcasts, every little bit of information helps!

Oh, and I hear there is this great beer forum out there, HBT or something like that... :mug:

While you're waiting for the stuff, go to Barnes & Noble and grab "How to Brew" by Palmer. And wyzazz is right--you need sanitizer. For your first batch, you can get some unscented Clorox bleach, but when you order your next batch, get some Star San.

Good luck.....and kiss your wallet goodbye:)

Word. The best thing I did was read 'How To Brew' before I started my first batch. Honestly, I didn't understand half of it, having never gone through the process. But I've since read most of it again, reading chapters that apply to what I'm doing, and it's been a great help.

As for the bottles; the kit comes with 2 cases (48 bottles). The Midwest website suggests that I'll need a few extra bottles, and that I should drink a six-pack to acquire them. haha.. no problem!

As for the sanitizer...hmmm.... I saw that the kit came with the cleanser, and I assumed that was the same thing. Looks like I forgot about the sanitizer. I'll have to call and see if I can get the sanitizer added on to my order. If not, I have two brew shops within 20 miles of my home...I can pick something up. What do you guys recommend for sanitizer?

Hey... From NJ also. Anyway, here is a post I made on another thread. If you feel like dropping more $$:

A few other items I can't live without now that I have them... you may want to get them up front! I am not suggesting that you buy them from these suppliesr/stores, just providing the links so you can check out the products.

Bottle drying tree: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/45-bottle-drying-tree.html

Star-San: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/io-star.html

Bottle Jet Washer: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/jet-bottle-washer.html

Some extra muslin bags (large and small) http://www.perfectbrewingsupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=379

Avinator bottle rinser: http://www.beer-winemakers.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=55&idcategory=52

A digital instant read probe cooking thermometer: http://tinyurl.com/yejjo3j

Some extra siphon tubing: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/3-8-siphon-tubing-per-foot.html - so you can go from the spigot on the bottling bucket into the bottles without having to use the same siphon tube. I would say to get a 1 foot section to bottle with.

OxyClean Free: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=195604&catid=157185&aid=337953&aparam =oxiclean_versatile_stain&CAWELAID=220130589

A spray bottle (for star san)

Some scour pads

Good starting kit, of course it is JUST a starter. As the obsession grows so will your inventory of equipment, just to warn you now!:D
For variety!
I use Iodophor for my sanitizing, 1/2 oz per 5 gallons of cold water!
Definite +1 on the bottle tree and avinator bottle rinser(ohhh so easy to bottle with them).
Good luck and happy brewing!

+1 on the starsan, again. DON'T FEAR THE FOAM!!!! Welcome to the obsession. Before you know it, you'll be ordering bulk ingredients to save money, and building wort chillers and mash tuns. Clear some room in your garage, cause this hobby will overrun your life, as well as space in your house!!!!

Good starting kit, of course it is JUST a starter. As the obsession grows so will your inventory of equipment, just to warn you now!:D
For variety!
I use Iodophor for my sanitizing, 1/2 oz per 5 gallons of cold water!
Definite +1 on the bottle tree and avinator bottle rinser(ohhh so easy to bottle with them).
Good luck and happy brewing!

Gotta say that "JUST a starter" is so right... I now have a 20# canister of CO2, and a keg that is begging for some beer... some say the alcohol is the addiction... I say it's the process of getting the yeast to the sugar that is addicting.

I just dove in with this deal, too. I ordered the intermediate kit w/2 glass carboys, refurb corney keg, seals, some fittings (I already have a kegerator) and my first brew....the Hophead IPA. I also ordered two 30qt stainless pots from another vendor, as I plan to brew indoors and batch sparge. I realize now that I could have got away with 1 carboy, as I likely won't secondary ferment much - I plan to keg almost everything.

Can't wait to get started. I've been thinking about it for about a year, and for what I pay for IPA's, I'll make this initial investment back in 2-3 batches.

Dun worry about a second carboy... when I really get in a fermenting state of mind, I'll have all my carboys and demijohns full, and still want some more plastic buckets :D

It was too late to add on the sanitizer to my order...it was already processed and shipped. Oh well. I can run to the local homebrew shop and pick up a bottle.

I like the suggestions from Earwig. I'm sure all of those products make brewing much easier, and will eventually become a necessity. BUT...like many of you I'm sure, I need to ease into this new hobby. Wifey doesn't like beer, nor does she like a dirty kitchen, so I'll take it slow and low at first. I have to find a spot in the house to store all of the stuff I just bought too... I understand the meaning of SWMBO. haha

Back