Coated Miller Keg as Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameliabrewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a Coated Miller Keg today from craigslist. Has anyone turned one into a keggle? If so how well does the coating help with temperature control? This will probably end up as my new mash tun.

Keg9.JPG

I imagine that it will help somewhat, but will not overall be as effective as the peel and stick insulation that you can purchase at Home Depot...

i have a pony size for my hlt, and the rubber does get warm to the touch. That tells me it could be better. I was thinking some of that peel+stick foam/foil stuff over top of the rubber would work pretty well.

I have one too was thinking about doing the same thing. I'm sure it will still need additional insulation, but a little extra from the rubberizing should help.

I think if you get the peel and stick insulation you will be very happy with the results given the extra buffer between the SS keg and the Insulation... Should be quite insulated.

Back