Stuck Fermentation ... re-pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKBrewPilot

Reaction score
Greetings ... Newbie here, first post, so be gentle!

I have what I believe is a stuck fermentation: 5 gallons of IPA, O.G. 1.040, 3 full days of active fermentation at 68 degrees, and the airlock slowed to a crawl and has now stopped (5 days later). Currently the specific gravity is 1.030 and nothing seems to be changing.

From other threads on this forum, I've learned that it is probably best to leave it alone for another few days, take another gravity reading and see what I get.

In the meantime, I'd like to brew another batch, so I thought I might draw off the spent yeast (conical fermentor with a valve on the bottom), recharge it in a fresh starter, rack the IPA off into a glass carboy, repitch the new starter, clean up the conical fermenter and brew my next batch.

Question is, will a fresh yeast starter solve the "stuck" fermentation and get my IPA down to a more reasonable specific gravity, or am I pretty much stuck with a low gravity IPA? Also, is an airlock with no activity indicative of no yeast with activity?

What yeast did you use ? At the very least a fermenter swirling and temperature raising might be the first thing to try.

Sure ...

Extract process: 9 lbs Alexander Pale Malt extract
3/4 lb British Crystal 75L Malt
1/2 lb Victory Malt
1/8 lb Roasted Barley 300L
2 oz Centennial loose hops
4 oz Kent Golding loose hops
White Labs British Ale liquid yeast, starter initiated 18 hours prior to pitch

fermentation has been at a consistent 68 degrees, started Sunday 9/18 @ 7pm, active until 9/22, apparently stopped (no airlock activity) yesterday morning 9/23.

Back