Help! how do I carbonate beer in two days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seansbrew

Reaction score
I was double checking my beer in preparation for my up coming party and low and be-hold. I was out of co2 and there is almost no carbonation in my beer. For this style I usually shoot for 2.0 volumes or so. What can I do? How much pressure should I put on the beer in order to get carbonation? What can i expect? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I've never shaken a keg (since I want the sediment to settle) but I've carbed a keg in 2 days before by setting the pressure at 30 psi at 39 degrees. After about 36 hours, check for carbonation. If good, purge and reset to 12 psi. If still low, leave it another 12 hours, then reset the pressure.

If you're going to shake the keg, do it today so it has a day to settle!

Get some CO2 and shake the keg while adding gas until at desired carbonation

O.k. the beer is at 32 deg. and I put 35 lbs on it. I am going to let it sit and check it in 24 hours. At least the beer had three weeks to age.

Also, I know what happened. My gage needle was stuck and giving me a false reading.

I'd rather do it like Bobby M suggested on another post (i think), he suggested setting to serving pressure, cooling and shaking as often as possible. By keeping it at serving pressure, perhaps it wont overcarb, and by shaking it, you carb faster. Sounds logical to me.

ughhh, can't believe the lame answers above.

SO, here is what to do:
- Put keg in fridge to chill for 24 hrs
- After 24 hrs, hook up gas and set pressure to 30 PSI
- place keg on side, on a towel, and rock back and forth for about 15-20 minutes. Rock-rock, then let rest, resume rocking.
- Set upright in fridge for 24 hrs at 30 PSI
- After 24 hrs, bleed air and set to appropriate PSI (usually approx. 12 PSI).
- Wait another 24 hrs, then...
- ... serve and enjoy!

This is a 3-day process, but has always turned out consistent carb brew's. But, I do keep the fridge at 42F, so adjust accordingly.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back