Perforated Stainless Steel False Bottom Score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmoor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am at Marshalls with swmbo and I am looking for some splatter screens to make a hopstopper. I figure they should have some cheap. Well no go they did not have any traditional splatter screens but they had these for $12.99. So I still need materials for the hopstopper but at least now I don't have to go looking for false bottom now. With a little modification this will work like a gem.

IMG_00335.JPG

IMG_00342.JPG

I used one of those for a few brews. It works ok. I sewed in a piece of stainless mesh to cover the area where I ripped the handle off. Keep an eye on the thing as it is low quality stainless and I am guessing it won't last forever. Sure is cheap. As a splatter screen it's pretty awful with grease shooting up through the holes.

Hey brewmoor, im currently putting together equipment for my herms, i want to use as many sneaky things like this so i dont have to pay full lhbs for the real things. im interested to see how you use this for a hopstopper! what are the odds of using something like this as a false bottom?

The Diameter of the screen is 13". It has a slight cone shape. It is suppose to fit a few different sized pans based on the rings on it.

Hey brewmoor, im currently putting together equipment for my herms, i want to use as many sneaky things like this so i dont have to pay full lhbs for the real things. im interested to see how you use this for a hopstopper! what are the odds of using something like this as a false bottom?

I am not going to use this as a hopstopper. The reason I bought it was to use as a false bottom.

In case anyone wonders what it looks like at the bottom of a large copper mash tun...

http://www.jimsbeerkit.com/forum/vi...k=t&sd=a&sid=45730148c4a18c2213348c79681cb66c

Thanks for sharing. I was thinking I would cut the handle off then slit the sides off the solid metal piece and then press it down. Looks like that is how this guy did it.

Should be pretty simple to modify. Drill a hole in the center and put a copper tube down into it.

Looks like I have a few projects to do over the holiday. I just picked up my kegs today too. So I will be cutting a drilling next weekend.

Thanks for sharing. I was thinking I would cut the handle off then slit the sides off the solid metal piece and then press it down. Looks like that is how this guy did it.

Should be pretty simple to modify. Drill a hole in the center and put a copper tube down into it.

Looks like I have a few projects to do over the holiday. I just picked up my kegs today too. So I will be cutting a drilling next weekend.

Good luck. Sounds like you are well on your way to a fine system. BTW, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/simplest-keggle-cutting-jig-143048/#post1627203

Latest posts

Back