Thinking of brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munson

Reaction score
I am thinking about brewing beer with some of my buddies as a cheap remedy to how much beer we drink on the weekends... I dont want to sound dumb but does anyone know a close recipe to budweiser? What kind of kit should i buy? And how difficult is this? all your help is appreciated.

paul

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=budweiser+sucks[/ame]

To be perfectly honest, brewing your own beer will not save you money. The best way to save money is to buy a 1/2 barrel of milwaukee's best or natty or keystone and have at 'er

While some people have very strong feelings here and around the home brewing community about Bud, the fact remains that by brewing standards, it is enviable that a brewer can make over 5 billion bottles of beer every year and every one of them tastes the same! Some people can't get that level of repeatability with two 5 gallon batches.

Having said that, I personally don't like the flavor, or lack there of, of Bud beer. They use rice to obtain the light character that defines Bud. The more important issue with attempting to brew a Bud clone is the fact that it is a lager. Lagers require refrigeration, and precise temperature control during fermentation. They also require long lagering (aging) at even lower refrigerated temperatures. This is usually not the way to go for a first time brewer. Ales are much more conducive to the first time home brewer. They can be fermented at room temperature and most styles can be consumed in only a few weeks.

How To Brew by John Palmer is probably the best online resource for the beginning to intermediate home brewer that can be found anywhere on the Internet. Take some time, sit down and read through it, and get educated to one of the most satisfying hobbies in existence. All of us here are more than happy to help you get started and answer the many questions that you will have in the future.

John

I can enjoy a Budweiser from time to time, but it really pales in comparison to the flavors and styles of other beers available. Budweiser is good if that's all you know, but once you start trying other beers you realize what you've been missing!

Still Budweiser isn't bad. Just look for a Brewers Best kit for a light American beer.

Munson said:
why do none of you like budweiser?

It's not that we don't like Bud, but after tasting beer with more flavor you really develop a taste for beer with other flavors. I am sure most of us have consumed quite a few beers that were from the "big 3". We've talked about being "beer snobs" before, but we really don't want that here in this forum. Johnsma said it well...it is really really difficult for first time brewers to make something like Bud or any other lager. Ales are the way to go, there are some nice light bodied ales out there, continental lights are a good way to start out. So are cream ales. As for your other question about alcohol content...anywhere from 4% up to as high 10%.

loop

Munson said:
why do none of you like budweiser?

I prefer the taste of Miller or Coors over Bud, but all that is is personal preference. Regardless of what anyone thinks about how a beer tastes. Home brewing requires initial startup costs plus costs of materials.

You can get a reasonably priced kit to start with for extract beers, and make some great beers doing it. The ingredients are what will get to you, extract is rather expensive, especially if you don't buy it bulk. For an extract recipe, WITHOUT buying in bulk, I'd doubt you could get a batch for under $30 (extract, any steeping grains, hops, and yeast). The most common size batch people make are 5 gallons (about two cases when bottled b/c some is lost through the process). So the cheapest you'll get the price of your homebrew is about $15 a case this way.

The other option is to use an all grain system (higher initial cost) but grain is much cheaper than extract.

If you get a 1/2 barrel (7 1/2 cases worth of beer) of Beast, Natty, or Keystone at $39 or $49 a pop, you're paying $5.20-$6.50 per case of beer. If you're really looking to only save money you and your buddies are better off getting a barrel every weekend, keeping it cold and going about it that way. We did that in college with a kegerator.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you from brewing, it's a lot of fun and you can make some fantastic beers, but you said that your goal was to save money b/c of the quantity of beer you drink on the weekends. Brewing your own most likely will not save you money and takes a fair amount of time dedication. I really hope that helps, I think someone also mentioned John Palmer's book online to read if you want to read up on more of the process and how to get started.

www.howtobrew.com

While some people have very strong feelings here and around the home brewing community about Bud, the fact remains that by brewing standards, it is enviable that a brewer can make over 5 billion bottles of beer every year and every one of them tastes the same!

by washing and sanatizing bottle, and pouring in tap water it aint that tuff to get beer like Bud with the same degree of accuracy in flavor

what is the alcohol percentage of the beers you guys brew?

I've made beer anywhere from 3% ABV to 15% ABV

Munson said:
I am thinking about brewing beer with some of my buddies as a cheap remedy to how much beer we drink on the weekends... I dont want to sound dumb but does anyone know a close recipe to budweiser? What kind of kit should i buy? And how difficult is this? all your help is appreciated.

paul

The analogy would be asking your mother or some other accomplished baker to bake you a twinkie.

Go read the book, get a set up, brew some beer and you'll laugh when you think back on wanting to brew Bud. You won't save money but you'll gain a new hobbie that is very satisfeing.A good first brew would be a clone of some ALE style you like. Bud is a lager and as such takes a long time and more equipment.

I've been drinking Bud since I was 18, legal then, and I still drink some. In the last few years I started drinking mostly micro brews and imports. Much more flavor!!! I recently started home brewing just to see if I could duplicate some of my favorite brews, not to save money. It's a hobby man enjoy. Here's an old joke for you, What does Bud/Miller/ Coors have in common with making love in the bottom of a canoe? There both f---ing close to water.

ive only liked one ale that ive tasted and i cant remember the name of it now... what would you guys recommend for a budweiser fan? i HATE fat tire just to throw that in there. i think it was something called grey moose that i liked.. does that name ring a bell

Munson said:
ive only liked one ale that ive tasted and i cant remember the name of it now... what would you guys recommend for a budweiser fan? i HATE fat tire just to throw that in there. i think it was something called grey moose that i liked.. does that name ring a bell

I'd try going to a World Market (if you're close to one) or a decent liquor store and purchase some beers you've never heard of. You will need a Church Key (bottle opener) so be prepared. Try findind a place where you can buy single brews, so you don't have to throw anything away. After you find what different styles of beer taste like, see if you'd really like to start making beer for a hobby. If you're a big fan of bud and will only stick with that, I'd try finding a different hobby.

Somone posted a recipe for Bud a while ago I still remember.... ok.. .how did it go.... get a carboy, invite friends over taking turns peeing in the carboy... bring it to pitching temperature and pitch yeast.

On the serious side.. one of the clone brew books had a clone of it. Check out Borders.

Munson said:

in that case you may want to stick to the American pale ale types and the light hybrids (see below links)

10A. American Pale Ale
  1. 6A. Cream Ale
  2. 6B. Blonde Ale
  3. 6C. K̦lsch
  4. 6D. American Wheat or Rye Beer

uwmgdman said:
For an extract recipe, WITHOUT buying in bulk, I'd doubt you could get a batch for under $30 (extract, any steeping grains, hops, and yeast). The most common size batch people make are 5 gallons (about two cases when bottled b/c some is lost through the process). So the cheapest you'll get the price of your homebrew is about $15 a case this way.

FYI-I've purchased a few kits from Midwest and they have all been under $30.

veggiess said:
FYI-I've purchased a few kits from Midwest and they have all been under $30.

I see a few of those on there.......although when you include shipping it's right around $30, I guess you could by from austin homebrew, buy enough kits to get the free shipping.

My original point still stands, if you're wanting to save money b/c you drink a lot of beer on the weekends with your buddies, you're better off buying a cheap 1/2 barrel than homebrewing.
EDIT: Especially if you're after a beer similar to Bud or similar beers.

uwmgdman said:
I see a few of those on there.......although when you include shipping it's right around $30, I guess you could by from austin homebrew, buy enough kits to get the free shipping.

Not anymore. They have a flat rate shipping charge now. Buy a 60 cent bung, you pay about $6 in shipping now.

Back