Anyone happen to know...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrid

Reaction score
...offhand what is the OG of Treetop cider before fermenting? I used Treetop, without any other fermentables added, but forgot to take a hydrometer reading before pitching my yeast (White Labs English Cider Yeast). I just racked it today after 3 weeks, and the FG is 1.00 and it tastes dee-fricken-licious:rockin:
I used some coriander, clove and other spices, but skipped the cinnamon to keep it from being too Christmas-dessert like.

My generic no-name apple juice was 1.042 straight out of the plastic jug.

Someone else told me their juice was 1.051 straight out of the jug.

I'd bet Treetop is on the higher end of that range. Why not just by a bottle at the store and take a sample? I'm sure there can't be too much variation between the same brand...

yeah, will probably do that next time i go to the store (forgot the last 2 times). Another question: What would happen if I added some more of the Treetop? If I did that, would it be necessary to add more yeast? Is it too much of a contamination risk to bother?

The reason I ask is that the spices, especially the clove, were a little strong and pungent. I'm sure it will mellow after another month or two, and then the carbonation will balance it out.... I'm just wondering if it could hurt to add some more fermentable juice to the mix.

If you add more juice, you'll restart fermentation again, unless you stablize first with sorbate and campden. If you stabilize first, though, it won't carbonate. Either way, it'll still be good!

Back