Bad Fermenting Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danstach

Reaction score
I started a second brew and used a Plastic Bucket as primary but in the middle of the night i remembered that this bucket has a leak.

can i move the wort to a carboy? can this be done or is there too much chance of infection?

on a good note, Last night I moved my IPA to secondary ferm and dry hopped it. smells and looks great. looking forward to bottling that one soon!

THanks for any help.

Dan

Air leak or fluid leak. If air no problem because the co2 produced by the ferment will keep the o2 out. If fuid then no problem because the water pressure will keep out the nastys. The oly problem i can think of is if the hole has nastys in it that were not killed in your sanitizing step.

Transfer to a carboy with NO splashing.

Thanks for the advice and it was an air leak.

the water in the air lock was going backwards or not moving at all. just got freaked out by the memory of the leak. Sanitized and siphoned to my trusty glass carboy and hope all is well. NO splash at all.

Its kind of cold in the house so i put the carboy in the closet along with a space heater set at 75. we will see what happens in 24 hours.

Thanks again.

Well i should have let well enough alone. just hours after i transfered to the carboy well the bottom fell out. no really the bottom of the carboy broke off.

108396098_9a88e595c3_m.jpg

i found out in the nick of time. moved the carboy to the kitchen and just about got it over the sink and a flood of immature beer all over the kitchen. im just happy it wasnt in the closet on the carpet. better still i moved the IPA out of there yesterday.

oh well, back to the beginning. i guess its time for a new carboy.

danstach said:
Well i should have let well enough alone. just hours after i transfered to the carboy well the bottom fell out. no really the bottom of the carboy broke off.

108396098_9a88e595c3_m.jpg

i found out in the nick of time. moved the carboy to the kitchen and just about got it over the sink and a flood of immature beer all over the kitchen. im just happy it wasnt in the closet on the carpet. better still i moved the IPA out of there yesterday.

oh well, back to the beginning. i guess its time for a new carboy.

Yikes! Glad you didn't hurt yourself. Glass carboys are known to have caused quite a few injuries.

How did the dang bottom break off??

Latest posts

Back