Stalled fermentation on AHS kit after moving to secondary - suggestions?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lxa4christ

Reaction score
So I am brewing my second of 3 batches of homebrewed beer. First 3 went great and have been a tremendous joy to drink! 2 of these 3 are going great, but I am having trouble with my Sweet Stout Ale kit that I got from AHS. The OG was 1.060 and the FG was supposed to be 1.015 and here is my problem.

I left all 3 beers in primary for 10 days and it had appeared that fermentation had completed on all of them. The problem was that I made an assumption and moved each of them to secondary, only checking the SG after they were into secondary and I had rinsed out the primary fermenter.

So the SG of the other two were spot on but the SG of the Sweet Stout Ale was 1.024 instead of the 1.015 goal. I decided to let it go for a bit in secondary to see what happened. But now its 48 hours later and I don't see any activity in the secondary and my SG is still the exact same 1.024.

Do I have any options to get it going again to get it down to goal? Or am I just stuck with it as it is? The beer tastes pretty great as it is, but I would love to get it down to 1.015 or close if possible. Thanks for your time and your help

:mug:

What is the grain/extract bill and what yeast did you use? I've had sweet stout kits with lactose that finished in the 1.020s, especially extract kits.

Just because you have transferred it to secondary, doesn't mean there isn't any yeast in suspension and if there is any sugar left for them to consume, it will happen. This is why we add priming sugar when we bottle and don't add yeast. My advice is to leave it alone and bottle when you are ready to.

Back