wyeast 1968 in an APA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backporchbrewery

Reaction score
I ordered some us-05 and some 1056 from two different places but its looking like neither will get here before the weekend. I do have wyeast 1968 in the fridge along with nottingham. Would either make a decent APA? I need it for Sept.9th and don't have a lhbs. I'm sure the nottingham is the safe bet, but was really wondering about the 1968 esb yeast.

Yeah, sure, why not? I have brewed an IPA with the similar wlp002. Lagunitas uses 1968/002 for all their beers. I would suggest mashing kind of low, pitch at the lower end of the range, and ramp up towards the end. This yeast likes to flocculate out fast, so keeping it warm will help make sure the beer does not end up too sweet.

I agree with beerific about the flocculation and attenuation. Mash low and don't use too much crystal. I would like to emphasize that you should start low( 62-64F) if you don't want ester production. Bump the temp (66-68F) up 24-48hr after fermentation starts to help dry it out. A swirl to rouse the yeast wouldn't hurt either. It will be super tasty.

We have probably brewed 50+ pale ales and ipa's with 1968. So to reiterate the above suggestions.

- pitch plenty of healthy yeast
- ferment low to prevent unwanted esters (I like 65)
- gradually ramp up temperatures after fermentation slows, usually after about 4 days for me, and finsh the fermentation at 68-70 degrees or so.

Try it, you'll like it.

Back