Wort in water lock -- cause for concern?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilOssiferzStone

Reaction score
There's a good several inches of head space in my brew bucket, but this WLP400 Belgian Wit yeast is so potent that it's blowing half-fermented beer up into the first elbow of the water lock. Half the water has been blown out all over the lid of the bucket, and what remains is a sort of light tan.

Should I worry about infections? Should I possibly yank the water lock, clean it out, and reinsert it into the bucket perhaps half an inch?

Just leave it man. I've never had this problem but my girlfriend put down a bunch of towels under our carboy for my first batch because she said this happens quite a bit to her. The problem is, it might have happened DUE to infection. The yeast have a lot of stuff to eat up that isn't sugars from brewing.

After fermentation is done just rack to a secondary and clean up the mess, it'll be fine :)

Just leave it man. I've never had this problem but my girlfriend put down a bunch of towels under our carboy for my first batch because she said this happens quite a bit to her. The problem is, it might have happened DUE to infection. The yeast have a lot of stuff to eat up that isn't sugars from brewing.

After fermentation is done just rack to a secondary and clean up the mess, it'll be fine :)

I think you are probably ok to leave it.. However whenever I've got some wort in the airlock, it makes me feel better to dump clean and refill.. I use vodka in my airlock for it's sanitizing properties and the way I see it, if there is anything in there besides vodka, it's cause for concern.. That could be me being paranoid, but thats what I would do. That said, I think it's a personal decision. If there is sugar of any kind in the airlock, there is a chance it could become contaminated.. At least that's how I feel..

I'd clean it out, re-fill with sanitizer and re-insert. when a little wort starts to dry out and ultimately clogs the bottom of the stem is when bad things happen. mopping the ceiling isn't fun

Back