My first ever batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dion

Reaction score
865-first-batches.jpg

Batch 1 (right) is one week in and batch 2 (left) is 4 days in. Both went in the basement in the evening and I had solid airlock action the next morning. They both developed a good inch+ froth that settled down by the 3rd day. Still getting a bubble/second.

Batch 1
Ingredients;
6 gallons unprocessed sweet cider
6 lbs. dark brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp. sugar
2 cups hot water
2 pkg. EC-1118
2 oz light toast oak chips.
375 ml bottle of Wild turkey American Honey

Heat 4 gallons of cider to 125 degrees to dissolve brown sugar. Add brown sugar mix and remaining cider to carboy and let cool.
Mix hot water and table sugar to dissolve and let cool to tepid, add EC-1118 and let sit for 20 minutes gently stirring occasionally.
Add yeast mixture to cider mixture, airlock.
Add oak and wild turkey to small sauce pan and simmer slowly until liquid volume is just below chips. Set aside in small canning jar.

My intent is to let this ferment all the way out then rack it and add the oak and more cider for a month or more then wine bottle it and hide it away for a year.

Batch 2
Ingredients;
6-1/4 gallons UV pasteurized sweet cider
3 6 in. cinnamon sticks
24 oz Honey
1 cup sugar
3 cups hot water
1 pkg. EC-1118
Break cinnamon sticks in half and boil in water. After boiling add 1 piece of cinnamon to each gallon of cider and let sit for 24 hours.
Mix hot water and table sugar to dissolve and let cool to tepid, add EC-1118 and let sit for 20 minutes gently stirring occasionally.
Add 5 gallons cider (including cinnamon) to carboy, add yeast mixture to cider mixture, add 1 gallon of cider, airlock.
When initial foaming subsides (2-3 days), gently warm ¼ gallon of cider to dissolve honey, add to carboy, re-airlock.

This one will ferment out and I'll see how it clears. Then rack it onto a 1/3 gallon of fresh cider and bottle it in flip cap bottles and hope it doesn't go boom so I can crack it for Christmas.

These are both recipes in progress so if you guys think I'm doing something stupid tell me please.

Latest posts

Back