Low Mash temp suggestions for Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eallured

Reaction score
I was planning on doing this around 146-148°F for 90-120 minutes to get a nice, highly fermentable wort. But I've heard that there can be problems with conversion at this low of a temperature. I am considering a few different options, and wondering what might be best. First thought, and most complicated, is dough in 90% of my grain at the target temp, rest for 60 min, then raise the temp to 152-154ish to activate the alphas and then add the remaining grain after a rest to replenish any denatured beta amylase.
Second option is to dough in at the higher temp and leave the cover off the mash tun and stir for a while until I get down to target temp and then close it up.
Thirdly I could just dough in at target temp and just wait around until it passes and iodine test.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Should also mention that I'm doing a cooler MLT so temperature adjustment isn't the easiest thing to do, unless anyone has any tips on this, haven't been AG brewing for all that long.

Back