What do you keep in your beer lines when not in use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
After you guys finish a keg and clean your lines, do you leave anything in them? I've been leaving starsan in them. Is that what most of you do?

Either CO2 or more beer, depending on my pipeline. This year my pipeline has been solid, so as soon as I clean the line, the next one goes on tap.

I don't think you need to leave sani in the line between beers, as long as you sanitize it before the next one goes on tap. Either way, I don't think you're hurting anything.

TB

I usually leave star-san in them. But not for more than a week. I've found it makes my tubing a little slimey. It's probably not harmful, but not something I want. For long term, I would rinse out with star-san and then drain. When your ready to use the tap again, rinse out with star-san again.

Either CO2 or more beer, depending on my pipeline. This year my pipeline has been solid, so as soon as I clean the line, the next one goes on tap.

I don't think you need to leave sani in the line between beers, as long as you sanitize it before the next one goes on tap. Either way, I don't think you're hurting anything.

TB

Yeah my kegs are usually full of beer so I don't have anything to worry about there.

Its the lines are was wondering about.

Lately I've actually been keeping up with consumption with pre-charged kegs (it's a beautiful thing! :) ) but before that my kicked-keg routine was to clean the keg thoroughly (including removing the Out post, poppet and dip tube and giving them all a good brushing and flushing), then reassemble the keg, renew the keg lube on all gaskets, and fill the keg to the top with Iodophor solution. Then stick the keg back in the keezer just long enough to run about a pint of the Iodophor through the beer line, then pull the keg, set is with its idle friends, and leave the Iodophor in the line until the next keg was ready.

I typically clean all six lines at once every 3-4 months with BLC followed by a good rinsing, but the above would get me by in between...

Cheers!

I left starsan in there a while and the lines turned milky white. Now I sanitize, rinse with regular tap water and leave it. I purge the lines with sanitizer and use the dregs of the chilled keg to clean the lines. It also purges the settled out yeast in the keg.

B

Latest posts

Back