Ever Miss a Hop Addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joemama474

Reaction score
So, I brewed up a Marzen today, hops were supposed to be 1 oz Tettnang @ 60, .5 oz of Hallertau at 30, and .5 oz at 15 minutes.

All went according to plan, I thought, until after I had it in the fermenter and found my last .5 oz of Hallertau on the counter. Grrr...

So... This was to be a competition brew, and I'm wondering whether I should try to do anything about this at all, or if I should add a small amount as a dry hop addition. I know it wouldn't give any more IBUs, but maybe it would add enough aroma to make up for missing the late addition...maybe a quarter oz or so...

Thoughts?

Well, assuming they were 6% and 5% AA respectively, you're at about 37 IBU or so. The missed hop addition means about 5 IBU less, which is roughly what even seasoned judges can barely notice...a bitterness +/- 5.

Also, if you're at 32 thats closer to a Maren IBU range according to BJCP. I'd wait a week and see what you notice for aroma and then decide whther or not to add the half ounce as dry hop. And just chuck the entire half ounce in if you're going to use any.

**EDIT***
Actually i wouldn't add it at all. Marzen's shouldn't have any hop aroma.

I was thinking that at first but bjcp says:

Aroma: Rich German malt aroma (of Vienna and/or Munich malt). A light to moderate toasted malt aroma is often present. Clean lager aroma with no fruity esters or diacetyl. No hop aroma. Caramel aroma is inappropriate.

And this is a competition brew.

My competition Marzen was downgraded for having too much hop character, and I had a 1/2oz late addition in it. More than likely this was a happy accident for you, so focus on that fermentation and RDWWHAHB!

True enough on the no aroma comments. My only concern really is that this is a malt bomb of a beer when I do it "correctly". But I think RDWHAHB is exactly what I'll do. Everything else about the brew day went perfectly, so I really can't complain.

definitely don't dry hop that. 1) its out of style, 2) theres marginal at best aroma left by 15mins, thats a flavor add, so it wont fix it anyway

definitely don't dry hop that. 1) its out of style, 2) theres marginal at best aroma left by 15mins, thats a flavor add, so it wont fix it anyway

Which makes me wonder about a different option... A hop tea. Maybe I'm thinking this over too much.

unless you've had success with using a hop tea, id opt to not chance ruining a competition beer. a marzen doesnt need any hop flavor, has no aroma, and low to moderate bitterness so theres really nothing to adjust for

unless you've had success with using a hop tea, id opt to not chance ruining a competition beer. a marzen doesnt need any hop flavor, has no aroma, and low to moderate bitterness so theres really nothing to adjust for

So, in other words, yes. I'm over thinking this. Thanks.

Back