Ale Fermentation at 60F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
I am looking for some suggestions on an ale I could ferment in my basement which is currently at 60F. I was thinking maybe a Kolsch?

I know its a low temperature and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Want to brew next Saturday. maybe I am screwed for now until I replace chamber.??

My fermentation chamber got trashed by my wife, accidentally, when she punctured the coil with a screwdriver....long story.....anyway...I am currently without my temp controlled fermentation chamber and am dying to rew some beer next weekend.

Not at all. If you like S04, Yooper was saying it is cleaner at lower temps. I also love Wyeast 2112 which will work clean and smooth at that temp, it is a lager yeast but tastes like an ale to me. I think 60 is within range for a lot of yeasts, especially considering that when ferment gets going it will be 3-5 degrees over ambient, maybe more.

Nottingham is best at about 60 degrees, for a nice crisp lager-like finish.

As Bigfoot there said, Wyeast 2112 is great (think California common), and a couple of others are Wyeast 1450 (Denny's Favorite) and Wyeast's pacman (don't remember the number off-hand).

60 degrees is a bit too cool for great results with S05 or WLP001, but there are lots of other strains that do love 60 degrees!

I personally ferment all of my pale ales, ipas and iipas at that temp. Its at the lower end of the range of most yeast but i have yet to have a problem.

I've chilled wort to under 55F and had yeast ferment in it without issue (English strains). My basement is jn the 52-58F range right now and I have no issues fermenting. The yeast will increase the temperature of the wort by up to 10F. So starting cooler is very often much better.

Awesome....thanks for replies guys! Looks like I am good to go here for next Saturday....now I just gotta get thru the workweek!

Back