Mead concentration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluefoxicy

Reaction score
I've read online recipes for mead using 5 pounds of honey in a 5 gallon batch. I've also seen something around 5 pounds per gallon (yeah 5 times as much).

Online kits for "sweet mead" seem to have 12 pounds of honey. Is this enough for a 5 gallon batch? I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to use....

5# in 5 gallons isn't going to get you very far.
I start at 3# per gallon (15# in a 5 gallon batch) and go from there. If I want more alcohol, I add a little more, if I want less, I decrease. I'm so happy with 3# I don't change a lot. If you use 12# in a 5 gallon batch, and want a sweet mead, you'll need a yeast that poops out pretty early.

The kit I'm looking at is Northern Brewer's, says it uses yeast with lower attenuation. Wish I could buy a couple extra pounds of honey from 'em.

My primary will be free in a couple days... need to save money for this one though, but I'll play with this then.

Thanks!

Go look for a local beekeeper - or a local food/organic type market that might have local honey. If you can cut out the middleman and get it straight from the guy with the bees, that's best, but it can be difficult if you don't have contacts.

I don't' know if I'd use a kit.
Be sure and price a gallon jug (12#'s) of local honey, and WYeast sweet mead yeast, and a dollar or 2 worth of Nutrient that will last you for many batches. Dont' forget to include shipping if any.

I guess if you are not sure of yourself, the kit will get you off to a fair start.

I know I wouldn't, because I never have, but I was guessing he's already ordered. If not, well, the liklihood of a homebrew supply being your best source of honey is very, very low. Given what's in a mead, ordering the lightweight, cheap to ship ferment related stuff from a brew supply and the honey local is going to be a win.

What ive been doing is using 3LBs per gallon... letting get all rocket fuel like... then backing it in with some more for sweetness!

Generally If im doing a traditional mead i shoot for 2.5 ~ 3 pounds per gallon if i want it dry, and around 4 pounds per gallon for a sweet mead. I still use the dry wine yeast for higher attenuation because i want more alcohol. Ill just add more if thats not enough.

When I make a melomel i generally use either 2 or 3 pounds per gallon plus the fruit. (Depends on recipe). Right now I have a dry mead, sweet mead, Prickly Pear mead, Pear Melomel, and Raspberry Melomel. Unfortunately I ran out of honey but when i get cash again ill probably make a little more.

Google Maps doesn't show any "Bee Keepers" around here, so I'm stuck ordering online. The place I'm looking at doesn't seem to just sell honey, only kits... damn...

EDIT: The honey is under "beer Ingredients" under "Sugars" what the hell?

bluefoxicy... u brew beer too? check out MD brewday group! meeting in joppa in octover.

hays apiray is where im going, next time i get a chance!

Google Maps doesn't show any "Bee Keepers" around here, so I'm stuck ordering online. The place I'm looking at doesn't seem to just sell honey, only kits... damn...

EDIT: The honey is under "beer Ingredients" under "Sugars" what the hell?

Is google maps your only resource? Try this link and run some searches, check local phone books. Don't fill the "MAN's" wallet.

http://www.honeylocator.com

Back