Quick PSA: Free shipping means nothing gets done w/ your order for 4 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm genuinely failing to see the issue here. You paid nothing to have the package shipped to you from a warehouse that's near as makes no difference 1300 miles away. You paid nothing in gas to go pick it up, and you paid no sales tax on the transaction. They advertise that the order will be out the door in 4 days. It was. They advertise the shipment should arrive within 8 days of shipment. It did. If you KNOW you need your order faster than that, you need to pay for upgraded shipping, or get it from a LHBS you can drive to.

Can someone please explain to me why it's somehow now an outrage that people who pay for their shipping get their orders shipped faster than people who don't?

Where's the ****ing outrage? It's a god damn heads up.

The fact that a significant number of customers will become indignant when a 2-4 day shipping quote ships out in 4 days is the reason I sold the retail arm of my business.

It's not just morebeer, northern brewer takes over a week to ship to me, sometimes close to two weeks. I don't think anyone is sitting on orders. If someone pays extra for faster shipping they need to get the order processed ASAP or the customer won't get what they paid for, which is worse than just getting it a few days later than you'de like. If its a rush, pay for the faster shipping.

They seem to be the only big vendor offering free shipping. This doesn't mean they should sit on orders for four days!

I don't like how they put their LME in a bag. You have to roll it like a big tube of toothpaste to get it all out.

they ship the same day or next day when you pay for shipping - that is something that matters to me and their shipping rates are always very fair.

When I do free shipping from them I expect a few days - with any online retailer if I need something quick I pay for the appropriate shipping to make sure it's here in time.

MoreSaver!™ Shipping - Free shipping on most orders over $59.00, orders ship out of our doors in 2-4 Business days.
no thread is needed - it's clearly printed on their website.
http://morebeer.com/search/103808/beerwinecoffee/coffeewinebeer/Shipping_Policies

They seem to be the only big vendor offering free shipping. This doesn't mean they should sit on orders for four days!

I don't think you understand how warehouse management works.

In any kind of fast turnover logistics like mail order, demand on your process will rise and fall. I might only need four warehouse hands on average, but natural variations in workload mean that I might unpredictably need eight or twelve employees on any given day. If I want to have every order placed shipped out the day it is received, I need to staff my warehouse for peak demand rather than average demand. The trouble is that I might only have that peak demand a few days a month, in which case I'm paying a lot of people to just sit around.

A very common solution in the industry is to offer discounts on non-rush shipping. In exchange for my not guaranteeing that I will send your order out on the day that you place it, I offer you cheaper shipping. The reason I do this is that the flexibility allows me to staff my warehouse in a more efficient way. It's not that MoreBeer is just "sitting on the order" to be d*cks.

Ordered from Morebeer twice. Both took eight days to arrive. The first time I was not aware (my bad) of the free shipping time table. Now that I am aware of it I will use them when it fits my schedule. To me Austin Homebrew is way up there because you can get an exact recipe fulfilled without ordering a whole pound of something you rarely use. NB is generally great as they have set shipping and some items there are just less. Midwest I use sometimes, but shipping there hurts them in my book. Rebel and Brewers Warehouse I use from time to time. It's all good, figure it out and use the one that fits your needs............

I only shop at Rebel Brewer now. I'm in Memphis and they're in Nashville, and typically my order arrives overnight on standard shipping, assuming I order in the morning. I've never seen them take more than 2 days to more distant spots (within 200 mile radius).

The point of the thread was valid. Let people know that if you use moresaver shipping expect to get your order in about 10 days. I have ordered on a Friday thinking I would be able to brew the following Friday and been disappointed.

It's discouraging for a new brewer when they get excited for a brew day and can't brew that day because their stuff isn't there. Is that anyone's fault? No. Is anyone getting ripped off? No.Is it nice to know before placing the order that there is zero chance they will ship your order sooner than 4 days? Yes.

Thanks OP. I bet you'll save at least a couple people the same frustration you and I have experienced.

Morebeer is a fantastic homebrew store! They have fantastic quality, a few exclusive products that are really awesome, a good selection (when not out of stock), competitive pricing, really fantastic packaging and free shipping if you spend just $60! Just make sure a brew day will not be hinging on the stuff you ordered for at least 10 days.

That's what I got from the thread. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that.

[sarcasm]
Guys, every time I've had a Comcast tech out they quote me a 4 hour window. They always show up at the end of the four hour window and fix for free what they say they will. I asked them straight up if they sit in their cars and wait till the end of the service window to show up.

True story, they did exactly what they said they would. This has been a PSA.

[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]
Guys, every time I've had a Comcast tech out they quote me a 4 hour window. They always show up at the end of the four hour window and fix for free what they say they will. I asked them straight up if they sit in their cars and wait till the end of the service window to show up.

True story, they did exactly what they said they would. This has been a PSA.

[/sarcasm]

I know, right? Why say 11-2 when we all know it's really 1:30-2. I see those bastards sitting there. I think they're reading my thoughts so they can laugh at how frustrated I am, but I showed them by making a metallic hat that protects me from their brain wave receivers.

Anyway, sorry that I've been heated. It's been a frustrating last few days for me and I took some of it out on this thread. But, I made 10 gallons of my favorite beer today, hit all my numbers, bubbles already singing their sweet music, so I'm about to RDWHAHB and enjoy the rest of my night. Hope all of you do the same.

I ordered from Northern Brewer and selected $7.99 super saver shipping. I placed the order at 1am, and had a shipping confirmation at 3pm.

I think what you see many times is depending on your location, your order may be held at point of origin so it does not sit in a hot warehouse or truck all weekend.

All in all a little planning on the OP's part would have saved him $15, and a rant on here.

I ordered from Northern Brewer and selected $7.99 super saver shipping. I placed the order at 1am, and had a shipping confirmation at 3pm.

I think what you see many times is depending on your location, your order may be held at point of origin so it does not sit in a hot warehouse or truck all weekend.

All in all a little planning on the OP's part would have saved him $15, and a rant on here.

I placed an order from NB Sunday, so my yeast and Ice packs would not have to sit in the heat over a weekend. Unfortunately, they did not ship until Thursday, so planning may not work if you have a slow shipper. It's back to Austin Homebrew for me, no more NB.

Of course you could avoid all of the issues if you went to your LHBS (when available). You can purchase your items on the spot and leave with what you need- no waiting on the UPS/USPS driver to show up.
Plus, you support your local LHBS and help insure he/she is there when you really need them!

Of course you could avoid all of the issues if you went to your LHBS (when available). You can purchase your items on the spot and leave with what you need- no waiting on the UPS/USPS driver to show up.
Plus, you support your local LHBS and help insure he/she is there when you really need them!

I would like to support my local LHBS, however, their supplies are typically limited and I can't always find what I need.

I placed an order from NB Sunday, so my yeast and Ice packs would not have to sit in the heat over a weekend. Unfortunately, they did not ship until Thursday, so planning may not work if you have a slow shipper. It's back to Austin Homebrew for me, no more NB.

When they used to use FedEx it appeared they would wait until Wednesday to ship my order. It would arrive on Saturday which worked out awesome for brew day. Now then ship via UPS, I'd assume to save a buck-or- two. No more free Saturday deliveries. I placed an order this past Monday and if they ship it out today and it sits over the weekend that will be my last order with them.

I am pretty irritated that they stopped using FedEx.

I try to only buy yeast from my (not so local) LHBS, but it's a good idea if you're buying yeast from an online vendor (particularly if you're taking the trouble to pay for a cold pack as well) to pay for expedited shipping.

Back