Liquor to Grist Ratio for HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone with a HERMS setup is using. Couldn't find any mention in the search. Prior to my HERMS I'd mash almost everything at 1.25 qt/lb. my first couple mashes in the HERMS got a little sticky, so I've bumped it up to 1.33 qt/lb and that's seemed to help. I've also been very gently cutting the upper 2/3 of the the grain bed before run off with no ill affect on wort clarity.

I actually go thinner than that and get up towards 1.5 qt/lb

Prior to going HERMS, I used to mash with 1.25 wt/lb and then I would add a mash-out addition that was often about a gallon or so in size before taking my first runnings to the kettle.

now I basically put the water I would have used for mash-out right in from the start. Give me some more fluid to move around in the pump, coil, and other and plumbing while still keeping a couple inches of wort above my grainbed.

I actually go thinner than that and get up towards 1.5 qt/lb

Prior to going HERMS, I used to mash with 1.25 wt/lb and then I would add a mash-out addition that was often about a gallon or so in size before taking my first runnings to the kettle.

now I basically put the water I would have used for mash-out right in from the start. Give me some more fluid to move around in the pump, coil, and other and plumbing while still keeping a couple inches of wort above my grainbed.

Yeah, me too! I had grainbed compaction issues with less than 1.33 quarts/pound but now with 1.5 quarts/pound and some rice hulls, that issue is much better.

Back