Need a Simple Hard Cider Recipe For The Holidays

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upperNY01brewer

Reaction score
I'd like to try and make up a small batch ( 1 - 2 gal.) of Hard Cider for the holidays and this will be my first attempt at it. Ive got plenty of apple orchards in my area so getting fresh apple cider will be no problem.

So does anyone have a recipe to shoot my way ? Would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Buy pasteurized (but without preservatives) apple juice. Add yeast (ale, cider, or wine yeast is OK), attach airlock and leave for a few weeks.

After 3 weeks, bottle, either still or carbed like beer.

Not sure you can get much simpler.

I just finished my 3rd batch. I also have fresh cider easily available where i am. just get 6 gal of cider from your local source. check to make sure it is pasteurized but with out preservatives, and then just add yeast and let it go. you can experiment with different yeast and adding sugar or other adjuncts. you cant really go wrong, well not as easy as you would think.

IMHO, cider (even just juice and yeast cider), won't taste very good after only one month of conditioning, and I prefer to wait at least 5 months, hopfully longer. the taste of unaged green cider is pretty nasty.

He didn't say it had to be good, and he did say he wanted it for the holidays. I figured using just apple juice with no additions gave him the best shot at something drinkable in that time period.

Back