Storing collected wort over night with a PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookiemofo

Reaction score
Question. I was thinking of mashing tonight, then boiling tomorrow.

Can I store the wort overnight? Does it need to be in the fridge or can I leave it on the stove covered. I assume it would be a good 2-3 hours before it was cool enough to stick it in the fridge. And since it gets boiled, no infection.

Would taste be altered?

I know a guy who does this. His beers have been slightly sour as he describes them.

I'd like to know from others on this topic as well.

If you don't do a proper mashout and denature the enzymes then yes the taste will be altered because the enzymes may continue to function and make it a very dry beer.

As far as spoilage goes, it shouldn't really be a problem left out. I've done overnight mashes and left wort out overnight quite a few times and never had a problem. Mine were dry and I used alot of hops so maybe I just couldn't taste a problem even if it was there.

Be best to pastuerize or boil it a little before letting it sit around as the fresh wort is full of lacto bugs, I would spend a few minutes heating it in the kettle and then just leave the lid on overnight rather than trying to refrigerate it.

Back