my first infection? (with pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
hey... so i racked an IPA to secondary two days ago, and last night before bed there was a 1cm layer of dry hop pellets on the surface... i just checked right now and the layer of green has been replaced with a kind of mess of floating particles and a spot of something in one particular spot on the surface... is that a patch of remaining floating hop bits?? or is it an infection? and what should i do...

sorry to ask, and i did read the page with all the threads titled "is this an infection?" "is this ruined?" etc.. heh, but i just want to make sure, im poor and this was a relatively expensive beer for me!

theres no real smell to it at the moment

help much appreciated!

24470bm.jpg

jpkcbk.jpg

its mostly because its a patch on the surface only in one part of the carboy.. but hopefully it is alright! i smelled over the airlock it didnt smell as hoppy as it did yesterday, but nothing sour or anything.. ill try to take an accurate estimation of its size and see if it grows over the new few hours

Back