Brand new

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clendenningp

Reaction score
So i am new theo the world of brewing, and i was hoping before i bought some over priced useless home brew kit someone could help me get the tools that i need. I'll be home brewing as a hobbie to counter the bordome of only working 15 days a month. I really need something to keep me occupied, and i like beer so i would like to give this a try. any advice is helpful. thank you.

Hi Clendennigp. Welcome to brewing!

There's a lot of good resources here - look at the beginners forum here and the sticky threads at the top - read 'em and you'll have a good start. You can also read up www.howtobrew.com At first, just read up and through the section on extract brewing - that's what you'll need to get started.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_52&products_id=11357 is a good starter equipment kit. You can also get extract ingredient kits http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_452_469

Good luck! :mug:

You will find that MANY of us have overpriced HBing "kits" :D

Welcome

First and Foremost, Welcome to the Hobby!!! :mug: I got started with this as a hobby in 1992, and have been involved with it in one fashion or another since.

As far as what you need to get started, the Beginners kit Pappers posted for ya will do the trick. My only gripe about most "Kits' is that they usually come with a placstic Primary. Plastic only lasts so long. Sooner or later, you will need to buy another. If it were me getting into the hobby, I would get a Glass 6 or 6 1/2 gallon Carboy right from the get go. Glass will last a life time if cared for appropriately. I still have my first 6 1/2 gallon gallon carboy to this day (I know which one ot is by the Clinton Sucks Bumper Sticker on it). :fro: But hey, that's my opinion and just as long as you get your first batch under your belt, It's all goodah!!!

Welcome to HBT! For the most part the basic kits are pretty much the same. The components of a basic kit can be used for years although buying more toys and "upgrading" is about as addictive as the hobby itself.

My favorite kit is the intermediate kit at Midwest Supplies but you pay actual shipping costs. You can't go wrong buying from Austin Homebrew or Northern Brewer and they both have a flat shipping rate.

If you have an option of a local homebrew shop, they can be a nice place to get equipment and you have the advantage of being able to get advice on your first brew. The down side is that there are A LOT of LHBS that give terrible advice on both equipment and ingredients. For the most part the folks here are into making the best beer possible. That is not the case with all employees working at homebrew shops. There is a BIG difference between make cheap get-drunk beer and a finely crafted beer. Just be aware when talking to folks that "making beer" does not mean the same thing to everyone.

thanks everyone for the advice. Nurmey i am here to creat the finely crafted beers you mentioned, not bud light. I am reading the link that peppers sent me since i got nothing else to do at work. thanks guys

Back