Starter ready too soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadian

Reaction score
Should I just stick it in the fridge? When I need it (2-3 days), should I bring it out a day before, let it come to room temperature, and then feed it a bit? (Ie do a mini step up)

I don't want to keep stepping it up over 2-3 days because it's already at 2/3 gallon in size and the batch is going to be only ~4 gallons. If I keep stepping up my OG will be off due to not knowing the ABV of the starter, right?

What kind of beer are you going to be brewing in 2-3 days?

So far, I've had good luck with preparing the starter @ approximately 1.040 , letting the yeast chew on it for about 24 hours, then sticking it in the fridge for several days until hours before pitching. This is for < 1.060 brews.

It's a big beer. Apple/Barley/Wheat Wine, starting at ~1.095 or so. I'm just waiting for the wheat berries to finish chitting. I was expecting them to be done sooner, but they seem to be older wheat berries than I thought.

Put it in the refrigerator. The yeast will flocculate and when the time comes, just decant the liquid off the top, just leaving the yeast slurry, and pitch that into your wort. The smaller volume won't affect your beer nearly as much as pitching the entire starter would.

-Steve

This is probably a plus for you. Do what SavageSteve suggests about 5-6 hours before brewing and let the yeast warm up.

Latest posts

Back