Can I brew any styles with my tap water (link to Rochester NY water report included)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makisupapolice14

Reaction score
I've been brewing again for about two and a half years and have some some successful partial mashes following the primer guidelines using bottle Poland spring water (which is a soft water profile similar to ro). Out of fear of messing up something that isn't broken off avoided our tap water. Rochester NY tap water tastes great but I'm wondering if as is it is suited for brewing any particular styles? Looking to jump to biab brewing very soon and if the water isn't terrible why not try? If it isn't suitable any rough suggestions for adjusting for hoppy beers and stouts? Thanks in advance http://www.cityofrochester.gov/waterquality/

Here is a breakdown of my profile:
PH 7.6
Ca 25
Mg 61
Na 17
So4 16
Cl 32
Co3 64
Total hardness 86

Have you downloaded the Bru'n water spreadsheet? Just starting to use it, but there's a place to input your water chemistry, and a way to select the beer style you have in mind, and work the modifications you would need to make to your water to make it suitable for the style you have in mind.

That is 6.1 ppm Mg, not 61. That would be bad with 61 ppm.

Yes, that is decent brewing water. You still have to treat it and tailor it for some styles. I recommend you read the article on water treatment in the Nov/Dec 2015 Zymurgy magazine for guidance why and how to treat water. Its actually a 'Dummies' version of water treatment, but its a step in the right direction for those who want something simple without major math.

Thanks guys I've dabbled with brunwater before but it scared me a little ha-ha. Yes 6.1 sorry. Good to hear my base isn't too bad. Now for the research.

Back