Head retention and extract brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripod

Reaction score
Hello HBT!!

I am currently drinking the Red Ale I brewed about 2 months ago. It is my first solo brew and I am really loving it! I've helped friends do a lot of batches but this is my first solo-flight.

I did pretty good for the first try, but I noticed that my Red Ale has very little head and almost no retention. It pours nicely and I get about a half inch of beautiful head but it disappears very quickly. I know that dish-soap is a head killer so I tried a few pint glasses that were sanatized or "beer cleaned" and get the same result. Is there something I could do in my brewing technique that could improve future batches?

It was an extract kit so the ingredients were chosen in advance but I plan on all future batches being at least from a recipe so I can get some more control. I hear adding some maltodextrin can help and steeping with certain grains improve body. Any advice from the pros is highly appreciated as always!

-Tripod

WOW! Thanks for the fast reply!

Should I use the 1/2 lb. of cara-pils in addition to my normal recipe(s) or would I need to cut back on some of the other grains to compensate?

-Tripod

It doesn't really matter whichever you choose. Whatever fits into your style of recipe building. Carapils has little to no effect on flavor, just mouthfeel and head retention.

Latest posts

Back