Completely Off The Rails

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super64

Reaction score
Went to brew today - small batch (3 gallons) of an American Pale Ale

5th All Grain, first time using my new 11 gallon brew pot to combat boil overs in my 5 gallon pot. I need about 5.1 gallons per-boil to have 3.25 post boil based on the old pot.

Recipe (The Plan)
1/2 pound Belgian Biscuit
1 pound Crystal 40L
6 pounds US 2-row
1 oz Mount Hood at 60
1/2 oz Cascade at 30
1/2 oz Cascade at 15
1 packet S-05
Rest at 130 for 30 minutes
Mash at 150 for 60 minutes
Enough sparge water to get 5.1 gallons of wort

I apparently enjoyed sparging so much, I lost track, sparged with everything I had and ended up with nearly 6 gallons of wort - not covered under this recipe. I discovered this when putting in the 1st hops add.

Quick Shift
Go to a 90 minute boil
Adjust hops from 60-30-15 to 90-60-30-15 with 2oz Cascade at the 15 minute mark.

Ended with 4 gallons after boil and transfer.
O.G stands at 1.035

Questions:
1. Besides the obvious of watch the sparge amount, was there anything else I could have done different/better?

2. Does cold break in the tube you measure the O.G with cause a false reading?

Thanks - :(

[...]
Questions:
1. Besides the obvious of watch the sparge amount, was there anything else I could have done different/better?

2. Does cold break in the tube you measure the O.G with cause a false reading?

Thanks - :(

1. Once the damage was done, your options were to live with the low OG, boil longer (like another hour) and adjust all your additions to happen in the last hour or so, or dump in a pound or more of DME to bring the OG up to snuff at the higher volume.

2. Not as long as it doesn't hinder your vision of the scale...

Cheers!

Back