Pumkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnyb73

Reaction score
Hello all!!
Want to get started on a pumkin ale for the upcoming season!
I'm going to be using canned pumpkin and I use the BIAB method of brewing.
1.How much pumkin puree will I need for a 5 gallon batch?
2.Do I add the pumpkin in the mash Or during the boil?

Thanks for your help
John

I'm doing this as well and will be doing a 2.5 gallon BIAB batch so I will just toss it in there with the mash. Supposedly the stuff is a PITA to sparge but we shouldn't have that problem with a bag. Not sure about the puree but I'm going light and using a pound of baked and caramelized pumpkin cubes from our garden. I'm outlining my research and what I've learned and eventually the brew process on my blog, there are some links I've posted that helped my research too.

Johnny B! I use either TWO 28 oz Libby's Pumpkin puree or FOUR 15 oz Organic pumpkin puree, so 56-60oz of puree, and I use it in the mash. Put it on top of the grain and you won't have as much trub later on. Then about 2 tbs of pumpkin pie spice @ 5 min in the boil.

Good luck!

I would definitely put the pumpkin purée in the boil. I added the pumpkin purée in the secondary and left it in there for 1 month. It tasted medicinal. Horrible experience. So I switched to the pumpkin spices

I'm brewing Reno's Punkin Ale, linky, this weekend. Going to put the Libby's in the mash and I BIAB as well.

Back